Monday, March 31, 2014

Roasted Chili-Garlic Endive

Normally my biweekly CSA delivery comes with a big head or two of lettuce that we use for our regular lunch salads. This week, I received a little note in my box saying they ran out of lettuce and were giving me curly endive (also known as chicory) instead. It looks pretty much like lettuce, but when I tasted it, I realized it's pretty bitter (at least to me). I don't do raw bitter greens. But there was no way I was letting the endive go to waste. So, I did what I do with other veggies I don't love raw--roast them!


Roasting tones down the bitterness in the endive and generally mellows out the flavor. I added some crushed red pepper for heat and garlic-infused olive oil for yummy flavor. It may not look like much, but it really was delicious! And so healthy, too! I think this recipe (if you call it that, it's so simple) would also be good for kale and swiss chard--probably any of the greens you might not like to eat raw.

One thing that always surprises me--and that I want to warn you about--is how much these greens cook down. I used about 2 packed cups of greens, which filled a 9x13 pan about half-way up the side:

When roasted, it's barely 1/2 a cup!

You've been warned!

Roasted Chili-Garlic Endive
(Serves 1 as a side dish)

Ingredients:
2 cups curly endive
1.5 tsp. garlic-infused olive oil (regular will work, too)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Tear endive into small pieces (2-3 inches or so) and place in a medium-sized bowl.
Drizzle olive oil over endive and sprinkle with crushed red pepper and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
Spread endive out in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.
Roast at 400°F for 12-15 minutes until soft and browned around the edges, stirring halfway through.

1 comment:

ricky albert danganan said...

We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in http://www.mytaste.com/ . Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and it deserves to be included on the Top Blog list!! Great recipes!! We will feature your blog so that people and our 3million users worldwide will see it on our site and we will make a lot of shout out about your recipes on our fanpages. If you would like to join, here is the link http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog .
EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!!The World deserves to know
how great a cook you are.
info@mytaste.com

FOR ANY QUESTION - INFO@MYTASTE.COM