Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lemon Berry Overnight Oatmeal {Gluten-Free}

There are a ton of overnight oatmeal recipes out there. The basic recipe involves using oats, milk, chia seeds and some sort of sweet flavoring. I've tried all kinds of versions using things like banana, honey, strawberry jam, fresh blueberries and more. But when I found a jar of lemon curd hiding behind the oats in the cabinet recently, I knew I'd hit gold--and this recipe has become my absolute favorite.


If you're not familiar with overnight oatmeal, it's pretty much what it sounds like. You mix up the oatmeal and other ingredients, let it sit in the fridge overnight and in the morning you have a creamy, yummy breakfast (which just so happens to be gluten-free to boot!). The chia seeds are what help thicken the mixture up. I also like to add a dollop of Greek yogurt for some extra creaminess, so you'll see that reflected in my recipe.


For this version I used blackberries, which add a wonderful color to this oatmeal, but you can use any kind of berry you like. The lemon curd is really what makes this a standout. I hope you'll give it a try!

Lemon Berry Overnight Oatmeal
(Serves 1)

Ingredients:
1 small handful blackberries
1/3 c. oats
1/3 c. milk (I use almond milk)
1 tsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp. lemon curd
1-2 tbsp. Greek yogurt

Method:
Add blackberries to a small jar (I use an 8 oz. jelly jar). Use a spoon to mash the berries up a bit.
Add oats, milk, chia seeds, lemon curd and Greek yogurt to jar.
Cover tightly and shake up until well mixed. (Shake hard!)
Refrigerate overnight.
Enjoy cold (that's my preference) or pop in the microwave for a quick zip, if desired.

No comments: