Friday, March 7, 2014

Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce


I am kind of obsessed with salty-sweet combinations--salted caramel being the ultimate sweet treat of late for me. So I decided I might as well learn how to make it myself! I found great instructions from Sally's Baking Addiction that use 4 simple ingredients:


Sugar, cream, butter and salt. (I used sea salt, specifically -- see my version of the recipe below).

The instructions were super easy--no candy thermometer required. The only thing I learned is that you really have to tweak the heat based on your own stove. Medium heat was a little much on my gas stove (if your heat is too high, your sugar can easily burn), so I went down to medium-low. Sally's blog has step-by-step instructions with photos if you need. Here's my version of her terrific recipe:

Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
(Makes about 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
6 Tbsp. salted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tsp. sea salt

Method:
Assemble all of your ingredients first. You're going to need to stir this constantly--no time to run off and get butter halfway through!
Pour 1 cup sugar into a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-low to medium heat (see above). Stir constantly until sugar starts to melt. (Be patient; this will take 3 or 4 minutes before you see the sugar start to clump up.)
Keep stirring until sugar is fully melted and no clumps are left.
Carefully add in the butter all at once (it will bubble up, so watch your hands). Keep stirring until butter is fully melted, about 2 minutes.
Now, very slowly start to drizzle the whipping cream into the sugar butter mixture, stirring constantly. (Again, the cream will make the mixture bubble up, so watch your hands.)
Once the cream is all added, let the mixture boil for about 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in your sea salt.
Let cool completely before using in a recipe or storing in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. (Good luck making it last that long!)

No comments: