Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Authentic Key Lime Pie

It's citrus season here in Southern California, and it has been another banner year for our key lime tree. For the last 3 weekends in a row, I've gone out to "pick a few limes" and come back in with a big bowl full like this:
(Did you know key limes turn yellow when they're ripe? True story!)
 
Admittedly, they're very small, so each one doesn't produce a lot of juice. But round up 20 of them (which is very easy to do with our tree this year!) and you've got just enough for a delicious, authentic key lime pie! Wondering why I'm calling it "authentic"? Three reasons: first, it's not green (just like the rind, key lime juice is actually yellow); second, it tastes just like the key lime pie(s) I had in when I was in Key West for my wedding; three, there's no instant pudding involved like I've seen with some recipes. This is the real deal--and it's pucker-y perfection, if I do say so myself.
 
 
This is definitely one of my favorite pies. It's creamy and smooth with just the right amount of tartness to wake those taste buds up. 
What's your favorite kind of pie?
 
If you're looking for something new to try, here's my recipe for:
 
Authentic Key Lime Pie
(Makes 1 9-inch pie)
 
Ingredients:
For the crust:
1 sleeve graham crackers (I use low-fat)
3 Tbsp. melted butter
2 Tbsp. sugar
 
For the filling:
2/3 c. key lime juice (about 20 key limes' worth, or you can use bottled juice)
1 Tbsp. key lime zest (from 2-3 key limes)
2 (14 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
 
Garnish (optional):
Whipped cream
 
Method:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until crackers are reduced to a fine crumble.
Pour crumbs into a large bowl. Fold in melted butter and sugar to evenly distribute throughout crumbs.
Pour crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie pan. Press crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
Bake crust at 350°F for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
In another large bowl, combine key lime juice, zest, sweetened condensed milk and yogurt. Mix on low speed until ingredients are well combined.
Pour filling into baked pie crust.
Return pie to oven and bake at 350°F for about 8 minutes or until tiny bubbles start to burst at the surface of the pie.
Cool completely, then refrigerate at least 8 hours for best flavor (I prefer to let it sit overnight).
Top with whipped cream before serving, if desired.
 
 



2 comments:

Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

Yay for REAL key lime pies! I'm so happy this doesn't contain that ugly shade of green like you see in many restaurants. Key lime pies are so awesome - I sure could use a slice right now!

Amy said...

oh...I adore key lime pie! I wish I have a tree that I can harvest from and make this pie. :P I'm drooling over here.