Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Chicken

For as much as I love my slow cooker, you'd think I'd use it more. But tucked away in a cabinet, sometimes I just forget it's there. But with this recipe, I think I'll be bringing it out more often from now on!


I was looking for a new way to cook chicken thighs when I stumbled upon this recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking. I tweaked it to cut down on the sodium (1/2 a cup of soy sauce? yikes!) and sugar. The result was a yummy, slightly sweet, slightly sour sauce the reminds me of some Asian BBQ I've had in the past, so I'm calling this modified recipe:

Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Chicken
(Serves 3-4)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. honey
1 Tbsp. dried basil

Method:
Place chicken thighs in a single layer in the bottom of your slow cooker.
In a small bowl, mix together chopped garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey and basil.
Pour mixture over chicken thighs.
Turn heat on low and cook for about 5 hours (or 3 hours on high).
Serve with rice and steamed pea pods.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

David Macaulay said...

This was weird - I was thinking about doing the slow cooker thing today before reading your yummy post - put it off but maybe tomorrow :)

Velva said...

My Family would enjoy this recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us.


Velva