Saturday, November 30, 2013

Wine Cork Christmas Trees--A Step-by-Step Tutorial

I have a confession: I like wine. A lot. And a few years ago, when my husband brought home a big glass jar, I started putting my wine corks in there, thinking it would be a cute decoration. Well, now that "decoration" has started to overflow:

So when I was poking around Etsy.com and saw some wine cork Christmas trees, I knew exactly how I was going to use up my extra corks--making these cuties:


The perfect addition to your mantle this holiday season!
I wanted to share these because they are SUPER easy to make and a great little gift for any wine lovers in your life (or for yourself!). I am not normally that crafty--no knitting or needlepoint around here--but I loved making these because they come together quickly and provide an instant holiday feeling. So without further ado, I give you my wine cork Christmas tree step-by-step tutorial:

Supplies:
Wine corks
Glue gun
Hot glue sticks
Green magic marker
Red or green ribbon
Sharp utility knife

STEP 1: Pick out your corks
I suggest choosing a range of colors if you have them on hand, as long as all the corks are about the same length/height.

As for the number of corks you'll need, it depends on how big you want your tree. The basic pattern is that, starting from the top of the tree, each row needs 1 more cork than the previous one. Plus you need 1 cork for the "trunk" if your last row has an even number of corks, or 2 if your last row has an odd number. For the 6" tree I made in this tutorial, I used 22 corks. 

STEP 2: Arrange your corks into a tree shape
Simply place them with the unpunctured side (the side you didn't stick the corkscrew into) facing up. If you have a cork with a design on the bottom, you can use it for the top of the tree or "star," like I did with the "Zins" cork below.


Again, the pattern is to start at the top with 1 cork and add an additional cork to each row.

STEP 3: Add some color (if desired)
The wine cork Christmas trees that inspired me to create my own had some green corks mixed in and I really liked that look. I used a light green magic marker to add a little color to the corks above (it will come out light green if you color over a cork that was in a bottle of white wine and a darker green if it held red wine.)


Step 4: Glue the corks together with hot glue
Heat up your glue gun. Once the glue starts to flow easily, pick up the cork on the lower left of your triangle (the dark green cork in the above picture) and spread a small line of glue down the side the face the cork to its right:

Press the glue-side up against that cork to the right and hold for a few seconds until the glue starts to cool (and bond).

Now put a strip of glue on the right side of that second cork and attach it to the next cork in the bottom row. Repeat with all corks in the bottom row:


With the next row up (and all subsequent rows), you need to glue both the bottom of the cork and the side(s) so it will attach to all of the corks it comes in contact with:



Repeat until all corks are glued together:


STEP 5: Add ribbon
Cut a piece of ribbon about twice the size as the perimeter of your tree, then tie into a bow at the top:

STEP 6: Make your trunk
This tree had an even number of corks (6) in the last row, so that means I needed to create a flat bottom for it to rest on. I did this by cutting a wine cork in half lengthwise with a utility knife:

If you have an odd number of corks in the last row of your tree, you can use 2 whole corks to make your trunk:

STEP 7: Glue your trunk on
Squirt a small bit of hot glue between the middle 2 corks in the bottom row in the tree and the ribbon you tied on. Carefully press the ribbon onto the glue and corks. Then add another strip of glue to the outer side of the ribbon in between those 2 corks and to the rounded side of the 1/2 cork of your trunk:

Press the two together to finish your tree! Tada!


1 comment:

hardpliers said...

Great idea. Next year I will definetely make this!!!