Monday, June 17, 2013

Perfect Plum Torte

It's plum season here at Casa de Valley Writer. Our little plum tree is a superstar producer this year:


Last year, I discovered this terrific torte recipe to use up some of those little jewels. The tartness of the plums combined with the sweet, moist cake is just perfect for a light dessert or a yummy coffee cake-alternative for breakfast. 

Calling it "coffee cake" makes me feel better about eating cake for breakfast!

Adapted from The New York Times, here's my recipe for the:

Perfect Plum Torte
(Makes 1 9" torte)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar 
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup unbleached flour, sifted 
1 tsp. baking powder 
2 eggs 
1 tsp. vanilla12-14 small plums (about 1-2" in size), pitted and cut in half
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line bottom of 9" cake pan with parchment paper and grease sides with oil.
In a large bowl, beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add sifted flour, baking powder, eggs and vanilla. Beat just until smooth.
Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan. Top with plum halves, placed skin-side down.
Mix remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over top.
Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. 


1 comment:

Amy said...

What a lovely Plum Torte. Too bad I've already eat up all the plums from my in-law's garden! hahaha.....I'm gonna save this recipe and try it when I get my next plum harvest. ;)