Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sweet Clover Dinner Rolls for Easter




We are headed to a friend's house for Easter dinner this year and I offered to bring some homemade rolls. I made crescent rolls for our last dinner together, so I wanted to try something different. After a bit of searching, I decided to give these sweet dinner rolls from AllRecipes.com a try, with a few changes to make them by hand (instead of with a bread machine) and as clover rolls. I wanted to try them ahead of time to make sure they would come out. As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about - they are awesome! Just the perfect touch of sweetness to go with a traditional Easter ham dinner. If you're still planning your Easter dinner menu, these are definitely worth a try! My adapted recipe is below.

Sweet Clover Dinner Rolls
(Adapted from AllRecipes.com; Makes 12 rolls)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water (100-110°F)
1/2 cup warm milk (100-110°F)
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
4 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1/3 c. salted butter, softened



Method:
1. In a small bowl, mix water, milk, yeast and sugar. Let rest 5 minutes until frothy.
2. In a larger bowl, mix flour and salt. Work 1/3 cup softened butter into the mixture with hands.
3. Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and work into a soft dough. Knead 8-10 minutes until dough forms a supple, yet firm ball.
4. Lightly oil bowl, cover dough with plastic wrap or a floured kitchen towel and let rise 1 hour or until doubled:

5. Punch down dough. Pinch off tablespoon-sized pieces of dough and roll into 36 fairly evenly sized balls.
6. Grease a muffin pan with olive oil.
7. Place 3 balls of dough into each muffin well in a triangle shape:
 8. Brush dough evenly with 2 Tbsp. melted butter, cover loosely and let rise 45 minutes to 1 hour or until doubled.
9. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake rolls for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with a pat of butter--and enjoy!

2 comments:

Ashley Bee said...

So THAT'S how you make the clover shape! I never knew...

Tracey@Tangled Noodle said...

Love these! Breadmaking intimidates the heck out of me, but I had to leave my bread machine behind when we moved. [sigh] Care to airmail a package of these rolls to the Philippines for me? Well, since you made the effort to adapt the recipe for non-machine making, I really should make them myself!

Happy Easter!! 8-)