Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crockpot Irish Stew for St. Patrick's Day

This year is really flying by and believe it or not, St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner on Sunday the 17th! I put together this pork stew for tonight's dinner this morning and as soon as I tasted it tonight when I got home, I knew it would be a perfect St. Paddy's Day recipe.


While traditional Irish Stew is made with mutton, the pork shoulder steaks in this recipe are much easier to find at the local market and still offer great flavor thanks to the lovely marbling they have. One of my favorite parts about the recipe is that it's incredibly easy -- throw everything in the crockpot, cover, set to low and come back in 8-10 hours to a perfect, hearty meal. Can't get much better than that for St. Patrick's Day -- or any day, really. Forget at about that over-salted stringy corned beef this year and try something new!

St. Patrick's Day Crockpot Irish Stew
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. pork shoulder steaks
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-4" pieces
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large 2" chunks
1/4-1/2 cup chopped celery leaves (go ahead and throw some chopped stalks if you like, too)
1/2 cup good-tasting beer (I used an unfiltered wheat ale)
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
3 bay leaves

Method:
Mix together salt, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder. Rub over pork steaks. Put steaks in the bottom of your crockpot. Top with bay leaves and chopped carrots, potatoes and celery leaves. Pour beer and water over the top of everything. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Don't forget to enter my Apron Giveaway!

4 comments:

Shut Up and Cook said...

I love anything you can put in a crock pot, and with a last name like Malarkey, St Paddy's is always one of my faves. Thanks for sharing!

Ashley Bee said...

I love all the St. Patrick's Day recipes. I'd probably sub in the pork for beef, and maybe give it a good splash of Guinness ;)

Amy said...

Your stew sounds perfect for St. Patrick's Day. I agree, pork shoulder is much easier to find than the mutton. I doubted if I've even see mutton in the markets around here. :P Thanks for sharing your scrumptious recipe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.