Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Makeover: Chocolate Pie

I'm not sure if it's really "traditional" Thanksgiving fare for most folks, but growing up, my grandmother always made chocolate pie to go along with the usual pumpkin & apple pie offerings. It was my brother's favorite--the only kind of pie he would eat. Even though I thought the cook & serve pudding pie was a bit rubbery, he loved it. Piled high with Cool Whip, he would carry his slice back to the kids' table, thanking Grandma along the way for making his favorite once again. At least until I was 12, and Grandma passed away.

One year after that, whoever had taken over dessert duties had forgotten the chocolate pie. And everyone noticed, not just my brother. Since then, my mother and I took over chocolate pie duties, firmly cementing it as a Thanksgiving tradition.
As I got older and started getting more into baking, I decided to elevate the humble chocolate pudding pie. And so this French Silk Chocolate Pie was born.





It is creamy, rich, chocolaty deliciousness that's sure to please the chocolate lovers in your life. Even though I won't be spending Thanksgiving with my actual family this year, this pie is definitely making an appearance at my adopted "California family's" Thanksgiving table!

French Silk Chocolate Pie
(Makes 1 9" pie)

Ingredients:
1 unbaked 9" pie crust (use 1/2 of this recipe, or 1 store-bought crust)
1 c. (2 sticks) salted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 c. superfine (or baker's) sugar
4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 Tbsp. Hershey's® Special Dark cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup egg beaters
whipped cream for topping (optional)

Method:
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Roll out pie crust to fit a 9" pie pan. Fold overhanging crust under the edges and crimp.
Cover crust with parchment paper and place pie weights (or 1-2 cups of dry beans) on top of the parchment to keep the crust from puffing.
Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes. Remove pie weights and parchment, and continue baking another 10-15 minutes until crust is fully cooked and lightly browned all over.
Cool completely.

Once the pie crust is fully cooled, begin making the filling (which you will not be baking). Using a hand or stand mixer, cream softened butter and superfine sugar until light and fluffy.
Add both types of cocoa powder and vanilla, and beat until fully combined.
Add 1/4 cup of egg beaters and beat mixture for 1 minute until egg is completely incorporated and mixture is fluffy and mousse-like.
Add another 1/4 cup and beat for another minute. Repeat with remaining egg beaters, beating for about 1 minute between each 1/4 cup addition.
Spread chocolate filling into baked pie crust.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

(Be sure to store the pie in the refrigerator. The egg beaters are pasteurized, so it's safe to eat them raw, as long as they're stored at the proper temperature.)

5 comments:

Medeja said...

This pie I am sure would be lovely for any occasion!

Rita said...

The best way to please a chocolate lover; I can almost taste it.
Rita

David Macaulay said...

Oh wow - I am retroactively wishing I had something like this, although given the forced exercise session I had today to get over Thanksgiving probably just as well not..

Amy said...

I totally love your family tradition! I would take a chocolate pie over the pumpkin one, any time! :P

Mommy Testers said...

This sounds SO good! I need to give this a try