Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Celebrating with Dulce de Leche Cupcakes & #CoolWhipFrosting

As I get older, I realize more and more how important it is to show your love for friends and family members often and to celebrate everyday accomplishments - not just big holidays or events. This has been on my mind a lot lately since my husband's been working long hours on a project and we haven't gotten to spend a lot of time together. So, when he mentioned his project was starting to wrap up and he might actually get home at a reasonable hour, I decided to celebrate by baking up some yummy dulce de leche-filled cupcakes.

When it comes to holidays and special occasions, I usually make my own cakes or other desserts from scratch. But for a weeknight celebration, I'm more than happy to go "semi-homemade." For this recipe, I picked up the new light and fluffy Cool Whip® Frosting:

And some other baking-made-easy goodies:


You can check out my full shopping adventure here on Google+.

If you're a regular reader, you know I did some prep work ahead of time by making my homemade dulce de leche for filling the cupcakes. I suggest making that the night before, or at least in the morning so it has time to cool. The rest of the recipe comes together fairly quickly.

Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
(Makes 12)

Ingredients:
1 box Betty Crocker® butter yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 c. butter, softened
3 eggs
1 recipe homemade dulce de leche
1 tub vanilla Cool Whip Frosting

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 12-tin cupcake pans with paper liners.
In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, butter and eggs until smooth.
Divide batter evenly into 24 cupcake tins (filling each about 2/3 full).
Bake at 350°F for 17-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool completely. (Note that while a box makes 24 cupcakes, you only need 12 for the rest of this recipe. I suggest freezing the other 12 for another day!)

Once cupcakes are cool, using a knife or cupcake corer to make a well in the center of each cupcake:

Using a pastry bag or a spoon, fill the wells with dulce de leche. (If your dulce has been in the refrigerator, warm it up a little first to get it to spread more easily.)

Using a pastry bag and a large star tip, pipe vanilla Cool Whip Frosting on the top of each cupcake:

Using the back of a spoon, drizzle some of the remaining dulce de leche over the top of each cupcake:

Refrigerate until ready to serve. When you are ready to indulge, get ready for this gooey goodness:

The rich dulce de leche goes perfectly with the light, airy Cool Whip Frosting (which to me, tastes like the "whipped" frosting they use on bakery cakes).

My husband made it home even earlier than expected (6:30 is amazing as of late!) and definitely enjoyed his pre-dinner dessert:


 



To find out more about the new Cool Whip Frosting, check out their Facebook page. Or browse for Kraft Recipes here.

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Kraft Cool Whip. #CoolWhipFrosting #CBias #SocialFabric



14 comments:

Carolyn said...

WANT! Those look amazing - must make this weekend.

Watson emma said...

ya, i am agree with carolyn,its amazing...

Adventure Holidays to Darjeeling
Cultural trip to Darjeeling

Summer said...

Oh, wow, those look delicious! Frosting is my least favorite part of a cupcake, but I think these new Cool Whip frostings might make me change my mind! Good job :)

mglawler said...

Wow! Those look decadent!

Amy said...

Can't agree with you more....gotta take care of our family, friends and loved ones. There are just so many unexpected things in life. I love your simple and delicious cupcakes. Can't wait to try.

Mommy Testers said...

Okay I must try this - my husband would LOVE this - looks like yours did too :)

"Prof. Kitty" said...

What a lovely celebration idea. A cupcake corer, wow! I never really thought about how stuff gets inside a cupcake!

Arlene@FlourOnMyFace said...

yummy your cupcakes look so good! I am heading to Walmart tomorrow I can't wait to pick some up.

Comiendo en LA said...

Yummyyyy!! I want one!

N.D. said...

I love this post! theselook so good!

Terri said...

Absolutely scrumptious! With a filled top and the creamy Cool Whip Frosting, what a delight! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe :)

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

I looooove dulche de leche!!! These cupcakes sounds perfect!!

Laurie said...

Soooo good! The dulce de leche brought the perfect sweetness with every bite!

Nicole said...

Great idea on creating the 'well' in the cupcake, I'm going to have to try that next time I bake some cupcakes!