Thursday, September 20, 2012

Eating with Acid Reflux

I haven't mentioned it yet because I keep hoping it will go away - but I've been dealing with a pretty bad case of acid reflux since May. It all seemed to start because of a medication I was taking. And even though I stopped that medication, the reflux hasn't gone on its merry way (we're talking heartburn/sore throat/feeling like food gets "stuck" most of the day for most days of the week - ugh). So far, I've tried a few over-the-counter and prescription acid medications to get it under control. I've also started taking a teaspoon of wild honey 20 minutes before every meal. Those have helped some, but we're still not quite there.

So my doctor says it's time to get serious about cutting "trigger foods" out of my diet. Over the past 2-3 months, I had already stopped eating some things that very obviously bothered me:
-tomato sauce
-red wine
-grapes
-coffee
-fizzy water/seltzer
-citrus
-spicy food
-most salad dressing.

Now, that seems like a lot to cut out to me. But, apparently, there's a whole lot more to the "avoid" list. In the past week, I've also stopped eating/drinking:
-garlic
-onions
-all alcohol
-all full-fat dairy (ice cream, cheese, etc.)
-fried foods (not that I ate a lot of these... but I do like a good french fry!)
-chocolate
-mint
-bananas (this isn't on any official list, but it seems to be a trigger for me).

So what the heck is left to eat?!? Some days, it feels like not much - especially when it comes to dinner. I used to cook with tomatoes and garlic a lot. And spicy foods are a favorite. Dinners have, almost needless to say, been pretty bland around here - especially because foods have to be on the softer side to feel OK on my throat. Chicken & rice and turkey burgers with sweet potatoes have been on the menu far too much.

So I call on you readers - got any good ideas for reflux-friendly recipes that are still healthy & delicious? Or any other ideas for calming the burn?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry to hear about your condition. Oh boy, I surely feel for you about all those ingredients/food to avoid.

David Macaulay said...

Yes I'm sorry to hear about that. I have had acid reflux at times and really hate it. I can relate re the foods as I am meant to be on a low cholestrol diet. But life without red wine and coffee would not be worth living.

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

I am so sorry to hear about the acid reflux! That really sucks, but I can honestly say, giving up the foods is the hardest part, then you kind of learn to adapt! *hugs*