Monday, May 7, 2012

Mandarin Martini

After Cinco de Mayo this past weekend, are you all Margarita'd out? If so, I've got a new citrusy cocktail for you to try - a mandarin (orange) martini!


Like many of my original recipes, this was born out of a need to use up an overabundance of something I had on hand. You see, this year, one of our mandarin trees is on overdrive:






















If you've always longed for citrus trees in your backyard, you might not think this is a problem. But really, how many mandarin oranges (aka clementines or tangerines) can a family of 2 eat - especially when they are so tiny and a pain to peel? Answer: not as many as this tree produces!

That's when an easy no-peel answer came to me: juice them. I'm not normally a big juice drinker, but put it in a cocktail and I'm there! And so was born the:

Mandarin Martini
(serves 2)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed mandarin orange juice (about 8 of our tiny fruits)
1 oz. triple sec
2 oz. vodka
2 oz. gin

Method:
Fill a shaker 1/2 way with ice. Add mandarin orange juice, triple sec, vodka & gin. Shake 5-6 times, pour into 2 chilled martini glasses and serve.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Welcome back! I would love and orange tree in back yard; I have been hooked on oranges all my life. I eat at least 2 everyday. I think I would go foe this martini.
Rita

Amy said...

I love a good martini and mandarins are so delicious in one! Love this!