Monday, April 9, 2012

A worthy project - #OdwallaCFK Game Day Challenge

When I was recently asked if I might be interested in participating in a Champions for Kids SIMPLE Service Project to help local children in need, I jumped at the chance. Champions for Kids regularly coordinates projects to improve the lives of children throughout the year. For spring, they've partnered with Odwalla to sponsor the Game Day Challenge! to help fight childhood obesity by encouraging and enabling more children in the community to get out and play and be active in sports.

To help support this goal, I signed on to do a SIMPLE Service Project that involved shopping for and donating a selection of outdoor activity equipment to Casa de Amparo, a local non-profit that helps less fortunate children throughout the community. They do a lot of work in particular with abused and neglected children. Having worked closely with child abuse prevention groups as part of my day job, this is a cause that's near and dear to my heart - and an organization that my husband and I support through our personal giving efforts.

As simple as it sounds, I've learned from my work that being active - and just having the opportunity to play and be a kid - can be an important part of healing for abused and neglected children. Of course, good nutrition is also key to good health. So, to help fuel the children up for activity, I'm also donating a case of Odwalla smoothies.

I had a lot of fun shopping for this activity. Though I don't have children myself, I love getting shop for kids things for my nieces and nephews or projects like these. There just so much cool stuff to check out! I wondered the aisles for at least an hour looking at sporting goods.
They had a great selection of equipment to play catch and T-ball.
I loved this little golf set - so cute!

I also had to hunt around for a bit to find the Odwalla smoothies. I'd never purchased them before, but I thought they might be in the produce section. When I couldn't find them there, I made my way to the other refrigerated area with the dairy products - and lo and behold - there they were. I eventually ended up clearing the store out of all the Odwalla smoothies they had left!
Yummy smoothies will be a perfect after-play snack!

Filling up my cart & clearing out the store's supply!
You can check out my trip here on Google+. When I got home - I had a good spread to get ready to share with some very deserving children!


I'll be heading out early next week to make my donation. Stay tuned to learn how it goes. In the meantime, if you want to learn more about Champions for Kids and how you can get involved in your community, check them out on Twitter and Facebook.

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™. #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions expressed are my own.

9 comments:

Tonia L said...

You scored some great stuff! I am heading to Walmart in about an hour to shop so thanks for the inspiration!!

MAMA BRANDI said...

What a great haul! The children are going to love the things you were able to get!

Jill said...

Great job! Definitely a worthy project. I also had a hard time finding the juice because I thought it was in the produce section too.

Page said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Page said...

Thank you Amber for taking part in Odwalla's Game Day Challenge by donating the juice and great sports equipment to Casa de Amparo!! Keep encouraging others to be a Champion for Kids as well!!

Rita said...

Congratulations Amber! What a worthy cause you have embraced; I am really impressed, although I have never heard of this before.
Rita

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

This is really lovely Amber! Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ BigBinder said...

You got some great stuff!! I love Odwalla, and those kids are really going to enjoy their toys!

Jessica said...

What a terrific cause! You grabbed some amazing stuff, it will make such a difference.