Sunday, March 25, 2012

Whole Grain & Nut Pancakes

Sunday mornings are usually pretty laid back here in the ValleyWriter household. We often sleep in, enjoy our coffee outside and indulge in a nice cooked breakfast - whether it be eggs or waffles or pancakes. It's a nice change of pace from the usual hurried weekday mornings, which often consist of a rushed bagel for my husband or a boring bowl of bran cereal for me. Pancakes are a special treat. But while I enjoy the maple-topped fluffy goodness while I'm eating it, but I often feel hungry within a couple of hours. And I know they're not that healthy for us.

So, I set out to create a healthier version of our Sunday pancakes that would also keep me full at least until lunch time. In that regard, I knew fiber was the key. I also threw in some nuts for protein. Topped with some fresh strawberries (perfectly ripe & in season here in Southern California) and a drizzle of maple syrup, the result is a very tasty, satisfying pancake that will definitely become part of our Sunday morning routines.


It still has some of that cakey/fluffiness you expect in a pancake, but it also has some texture that helps it feel like you're really eating something filling. And as I type this several hours later, I'm happy to report - I'm not hungry yet!

Whole Grain & Nut Pancakes

 Ingredients:
3/4 c. old-fashioned oats
3 Tbsp. blanched almonds
3 Tbsp. bran cereal
3/4 c. white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. skim milk
2 Tbsp. honey (or sugar)
2 Tbsp. oil
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt

Method:
In a blender or food processor, pulse oats, almonds and bran cereal into a fine meal (small flakes/chunks are OK). Add to a bowl with white whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
In separate bowl, beat milk, honey, oil, egg and salt until smooth. Add to flour mix. Stir until well combined. Let batter rest about 5 minutes.
Heat griddle over medium heat. Spray lightly with oil.
Ladle about 1/3 c. of batter onto to griddle per pancake. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and fully cooked in the center.

2 comments:

Rita said...

These look and sound so healthy; great combination of ingredients.
Rita

CCU said...

What healthy yet delicious pancakes - great work my friend :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Nutella Saturday