Friday, February 17, 2012

Easy Chicken Bruschetta

Every year, my sister-in-law helps put together a cookbook for a charity that benefits The Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Virginia Beach, where she lives. This year, she asked me to contribute a few recipes -- and then gifted me with a copy of the finished product for the holidays. It was the perfect gift and I've already tried several yummy recipes.

My favorite so far is this chicken bruschetta casserole:

It's simple, gets dinner on the table in under and hour and uses ingredients I usually have on hand. Most importantly, it's delicious! My husband requests it often -- and I'm happy to oblige.

Easy Chicken Bruschetta
(adapted from Cooking with the King's Daughters, original recipe contributed by Ginger Jamieson)

Ingredients:
1 package chicken stove-top stuffing (or 3 cups of homemade stuffing mix)
1 can diced tomatoes with basil, undrained
1/2 c. water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
salt & pepper
1-2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Method:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 13" x 9" baking dish with olive oil.
In a large bowl, mix stuffing mix, undrained tomatoes, water and minced garlic well. Set aside.
Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread on bottom of greased dish.
Sprinkle dried basil on top of chicken.
Spread shredded cheese in an even layer over that.
Top with stuffing mix (which should now be nice and moist).
Bake at 400°F for 35-40 minutes until stuffing is nicely browned.
Cool 5 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful cause! This Chicken Bruschetta sounds and looks delicious...I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks! Can't wait to give this a try!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Looks good! Lots of yummy flavors!

Rita said...

Love this original recipe for Chicken Bruschetta; something new to add to my lunch menu.
Rita