Thursday, October 6, 2011

We've been Boo'd!

When the doorbell rang at 8:45pm the other night, I had no idea who it might be. We're still fairly new to the area and don't know too many people yet - especially people who would be coming for a visit at that time of night. So, I flipped on the light and peered out the peephole - nothing. So I peeked out the window. And there I spied a little package on the front mat. It was a bright Halloween goody bag. When I opened it up, I found some goodies and this poem inside:

I'd never heard of this game before, but apparently it's been around a while. Basically, whoever starts it makes up a few bags of Halloween treats and copies of a "Boo" sign and the above poem and secretly drops it them on a few neighbors' doorsteps. Then those neighbors each make 2 more goodie bags and copies of the poem and secretly drop them on other doorsteps. Rinse, lather, repeat. I just think this is such a great idea! It's a fun way to build a sense of community and do something even people without kids can enjoy.

So, of course I had to participate. I found copies of the "Boo" sign and poem here, so I printed them out and attached them to Halloween treat bags filled with chocolates and a miniature pumpkin. Last night, after dark, I snuck up to the neighbor's front door, dropped the bag, rang the bell and ran like heck to the next neighbor's house. I dropped the other bag there and then hauled it home before anyone could see me. I felt like mischievous kid - so much fun! And Mr. Valley Writer got some amusement from watching my shenanigans from our 2nd floor window, too. I hope our neighbors got as much of a kick out of it as we did.

Have you ever heard of the Boo game? Do you do it in your neighborhood? (If not - why not start a new tradition?! All the instructions are included in the link above!)

2 comments:

N.D. said...

that's so cute! hopefully it helps ya meet people too!

Rita said...

Never heard of the Boo game;sounds fun.
Rita