Saturday, October 15, 2011

Homemade Caramel Pecan Bark Latte

I'm normally pretty simple when it comes to coffee. When I make it at home, I use a plain ol' French roast and take it straight up black. If we go out to breakfast, I might order a flavored coffee or add a little cream (sometimes restaurant coffee is just too bitter for me!). In part, my simple approach is because I like the taste of coffee as it is. And it part, it's because I don't really like to "drink" my calories. I will admit though, that when I lived in Massachusetts, I would "indulge" occasionally in a latte from my favorite coffee place a couple of times on a month.

Now that we've moved to California, the major source of lattes is just expensive (I'm too frugal to pay $5 for a coffee!), so I've only had 1 latte in 6 months. But, when I received 2 bags of Godiva Limited Edition flavored coffee as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, the wheels in my head got turning on how I could bring back my latte indulgence right in my own kitchen.

I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to steam the milk at first, but it turned out to be REALLY simple. All I did was put a cup of low-fat milk in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk it for about 2 minutes until it was nice and foamy:
Then I added a bit of caramel sauce to the bottom of my cup, filled 1/2 way with freshly brewed Godiva Caramel Pecan Bark coffee and the rest of the way with the milk - and ta da!
Homemade Latte!

The nice thing about the Godiva coffee is that it's got great flavor on its own, so you really don't need to do a whole lot to make a really tasty latte. Here's my simple recipe:

Caramel Pecan Bark Latte
(Makes 2)

Ingredients:
12 oz. brewed Caramel Pecan Bark Coffee
1 c. low-fat milk
2 tsp. caramel sauce (+ extra for drizzle, if desired)

Method:
Put 1 tsp. caramel sauce in each tall coffee cup. Add about 6 oz. of coffee to each cup and stir to dissolve caramel.
Pour 1/2 of steamed milk into each up. (No need to stir - it will mix on its own.)
Drizzle with extra caramel, if desired.
Enjoy!

Disclosure: I received the Godiva coffee free as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, but all opinions expressed above are my own.

7 comments:

David L Macaulay said...

looks nice - like you I'm too frugal for lattes now, always the house blend at Starbucks.

N.D. said...

mmmmmm loveee this!!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

I love making lattes at home, but be careful it becomes really addicting, which is why I stopped, and now just drink brewed coffee...:)

Shari said...

It is suppose to get cooler the end of this week here in Florida. I may need to try a latte to keep warm. This looks wonderful and warming.

Ron aka TheOldGeezer said...

I'm not much into lattes but this one sounds good :-)

God bless and have a wonderful weekend :-)

*The Old Geezer Blog

Rita said...

So much better at home and this one must be wonderful.
Rita

kathryn said...

Oh, yum. Who doesn't like anything Godiva?? I love they way you made the swirl in the foam...like a seasoned barista. I'm guessing that Californians don't appreciate their coffee quite the same way that we do?