Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spicy Grilled Tuna with Mango-Nectarine Salsa

We finally got a grill at our new place, so I've been cooking outside a lot lately. I'm pretty comfortable grilling most meats - chicken, steak & pork - no problem. But I've always been a little hesitant about fish. I think part of it is that I'm not as comfortable with fish in general as I am with other proteins. My go-to fish recipes are fish tacos (pan-fried) and white wine poached fish in the oven. Always on the lookout to bring more healthy foods into our diet and new recipes on to the menu, I decided to branch out and try grilling up some tuna.

I poked around for recipes and used this recipe as my inspiration. I changed things up to make it a little simpler (there were way too many ingredients in that first recipe!) and use up the last of my fresh nectarines. It came out really, really good! There was nice heat from the spice rub and jalapeno, with the mango and nectarine providing a sweet, cooling contrast. Served with a side of cous cous, red quinoa and baby garbanzo beans (Harvest Blend from Trader Joe's - so good!), it was a very tasty - and healthy - meal.


Spicy Grilled Tuna with Mango-Nectarine Salsa
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (4-6 oz.) tuna steaks

1 small mango, peeled, pitted and diced
2 small nectarines, pitted and diced
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp. chopped mint
1 jalapeno, minced (seeds & all)
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt

Method:
Mix olive oil, 1 Tbsp. lime juice and minced garlic in glass dish. Add tuna steaks and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 and up to 3 hours.
Meanwhile, mix mango, nectarine, cilantro, mint, jalapeno and remaining lime juice in a small non-metal bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Letting it sit a couple of hours allows the flavors to meld.)
When fish is ready to be cooked, spray grill with oil, then turn on heat to medium-high. Let the grill heat up for about 5-10 minutes.
While grill is heating up, combine spices and salt in a small bowl. Remove the fish from the lime marinade and place on a clean plate. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly on both sides of each steak (it will be a fairly thick coating).
Place tuna steaks on preheated grill and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish reaches desired doneness.
Top with mango-nectarine salsa before serving.

4 comments:

Ally @ Om Nom Ally .com said...

This looks delicous! I don't know what I would start eating first, the perfectly cooked tuna or the salsa :D

Tangled Noodle said...

How I miss grilling! Even if they were allowed, we don't have enough room on our teeny balcony. But at least I can get fresh tuna and excellent mangoes! This is just the kind of meal that's filling yet refreshing. 8-)

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Your salsa looks beautiful - I think fruit salsa goes amazing with fish dishes! I am always afraid to grill fish too! But yours looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

HI, I just joined this community. I m from pakistan. I like this forum.......hope to learn lot of things here ;-)





------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Poker review blog Online Poker For Poker details