Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lemon-Cranberry Bread

Last night I was craving something sweet. But there was no chocolate in the house (heaven forbid!) and not enough butter to make blondies or shortbread... but one thing we know I did have was lemons. I also happened to have some dried cranberries, so I decided to reinvent an old recipe I have for orange cranberry bread. The results were lovely - very bright, lemony and refreshing, yet sweet enough to hit the spot. (And it was just as good for breakfast as it was for dessert!)

The only thing I would do differently next time is reduce the cook time by 5-10 minutes (reflected in the recipe below) because I thought the edges were a touch dry. Note to self: lemon bread dough doesn't start out as dark as orange bread, so don't expect it to bake up as dark! Onto the recipe...

Lemon-Cranberry Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)

zest of 2 lemons
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp. salted butter, melted

Method:
Preheat oven to 325. Grease loaf pan.
Mix lemon juice and lemon zest. Add dried cranberries. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow cranberries to plump.
Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
In another bowl, beat egg. Add melted butter. Stir in lemon juice and cranberries. Then mix in flour mixture just until combined. (Dough will be stiff.)
Spoon dough into greased loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool completely before cutting.


7 comments:

Raquel @ Erecipe said...

your lemon cranberry bread look nice and moist, I also love baking bread, it seems like I smell the scent of lemon here =)

N.D. said...

this looks delicious!

Rita said...

Love the combination! Perfect for a cup of green tea.
Rita

Lisa said...

I've made lemon cranberry bread before too and loved it. If I had a loaf of yours around the house, I'd be slicing off pieces of it all day. You'll have to come by and share it with my linky party, Sweets for a Saturday, this weekend.

masini second said...

I think this is an interesting recipe that i will try for sure. It looks delicious and it is not very hard. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Wow! It looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing! You got a lovely space here.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Wow! It looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing! You got a lovely space here.
Hope to see you on my blog:)