Sunday, May 15, 2011

Potato Salad Even a Husband Could Love

I promise I won't go on and on again about Mr. ValleyWriter's lack of love for potatoes. Suffice it to say, he wasn't thrilled when I told him we were having potato salad as a side dish with dinner. That is, until, I told him my inspiration to kick it up a notch - BACON! Yes, I think most of us will agree, bacon makes almost everything better - potato salad included. So, if you're looking for a little something different for your next picnic - I highly recommend throwing a handful of crumbled bacon into your favorite potato salad recipe. 

Here's mine:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. red bliss potatoes
2 eggs
4 slices thick cut, nitrate-free bacon
2/3 c. light mayo
2 Tbsp. honey mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Method:
1. Scrub and rinse potatoes, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 7-10 minutes until a fork slides easily through the potatoes. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Repeat 2-3 times until potatoes feel warm, but not hot. Lay potatoes out on a large cutting board or baking sheet, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper and allow to cool completely.
2. Place eggs in a small saucepan and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. As soon as water reaches a full boil, cover saucepan with a tight fitting lid and remove from heat. Let sit 15 minutes. Carefully remove eggs from the saucepan with a spoon, place into a small bowl and rinse repeatedly with cold water (or submerge in ice water) until eggs feel cool.
3. Place 4 strips of bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes on each side until bacon is nice and crispy (but not burnt). Remove from pan and drain between 2 paper towels.
4. In a small bowl, combine light mayo and honey mustard. Mix well.  

Now put it all together:
Shell the hard boiled eggs, chop and add to a large bowl. Crumble bacon into small pieces into the bowl. Add cooled potatoes. Pour mayo/mustard mix over the top and fold into the rest of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving to allow the flavors to develop. I actually thought the bacon flavor got more pronounced the longer it sat, so next time, I'll make it the night before.

7 comments:

Rita said...

I understand!
I am married to a guy who realy doesn't care(hates) potato salad. He loves bacon, would this work???
Rita

ValleyWriter said...

I think it's worth a shot, Rita!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Who couldn't love this??? I am very proud of Mr. Valley Writer. I know of his strong aversion to potatoes. I forgot to ask you, how did the homegrown ones go over last year?

ValleyWriter said...

Jenn - I loved the homegrown ones last year and hope to plant some again in our new place. Since I grew them in pots, they were pretty small. But we'll have more garden space to work soon. Mr. VW was traveling a lot last fall when I harvested them, so I got them all to myself!

ValleyWriter said...

Jenn - I loved the homegrown ones last year and hope to plant some again in our new place. Since I grew them in pots, they were pretty small. But we'll have more garden space to work soon. Mr. VW was traveling a lot last fall when I harvested them, so I got them all to myself!

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh, yeah. Bacon makes everything and anything better. But I must admit, I'm baffled: how could anyone not love potatoes? 8-)

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Ha ha , i love the tittle!
And the potato salad sure is v v wonderful!