Monday, April 4, 2011

Upsides & Downsides...

Let me start by saying I am thrilled to be living in sunny California! Since we've been here, every day has been in the high 60s/low 70s, sunny and dry. My understanding is that's pretty much what you get in Southern California - save for the odd cold, hot or rainy day, which doesn't come too often. I am quite happy with that!! And very happy to be missing the wacky spring weather they are having back home in New England (snow one day, then 50 degrees the next, then hail the following - yikes!).

I am also tickled pink with the location of our temporary housing. When I first learned we would be relocating here, I said to my husband "I just want to live in a place by the beach for at least a month. It can be a teeny little apartment - as long as I can walk to the beach!" Well, I got my beach wish. Here's the view from the balcony off the bedroom:
We're about a 2 minute walk (if that) to the ocean. It is fabulous! We're enjoying sunsets like this almost every night:
I am incredibly grateful to have this opportunity and feel totally blessed.

That said, as the title of the post implies, there are a few minor downsides to this living arrangement. First of all, this is a furnished apartment and all of our stuff is in storage, so I hardly have anything of my own. (Fortunately, a box of clothes we shipped to ourselves finally showed up so I can stop recycling the same 3 shirts.) But beyond basic personal effects, we're making due with what's here. In the kitchen, that means no baking pans, no scale to make bread, no mixer, etc. -- only the bare-bones basics. I have 1 measuring cup -- 1!! -- a couple of pots and a casserole dish. (Yes, I know there are people with much, much less out there, so I'm not complaining about my life condition - just giving you an idea of what I'm working with.)

And let me just give you a tour of my state-of-the art kitchen (circa 1972):

The top one there is a microwave, so I'm told. It apparently doesn't work anymore, but I'm fascinated by the options on it - saute, broil, etc. Who knew you could do that with a microwave? As for the oven - I guess it works, but I honestly haven't tried it yet given my limited utensils and pans. 

On the brighter side of things, we do have a little patio in the back with a grill. So that's probably what I'll be mastering soon. Grilling is not my forte, but there's never a better time to learn, it seems!

There's also a little farmer's market in town later this week that I can't wait to check out. I've seen roadside stands selling strawberries -- that's right, in April!!! (For you non-New Englanders, strawberries are usually a June/July thing for us - hence my elation at seeing them 2 months earlier.) So I want to try some of those out and see what else there is to throw together in my sweet little kitchen by the sea.

9 comments:

Rita said...

Really enjoyed your post and I feel for you. We just spent a month in Victoria and yes I loved it but like you there was not much as far as utensils to cook in. I hope you don't too long before you get your Stuff. How can a woman exist without her Stuff? Love the scenery. We got back home in nothern Ontario to snow; enjoy the beach.
Rita

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Sounds like you are settling in just fine. I have been popping over here every other day to see if there was an update!

N.D. said...

It looks beautiful!! I bet you can't wait to get your kitchen back and all of your things. That looks really old!

David L Macaulay said...

southern California - way to go. I would definitely like that drier climate

Bobbi said...

What a beautiful place to live! Too bad that darn microwave doesn't work. lol.

~Ron said...

Welcome to paradise. I've live in Southern California all my life and have never seriously considered moving.

God bless and have a great weekend :-)

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Oh my, I love that microwave photo. I hope the grilling is going well!

Tangled Noodle said...

Yikes! See how long it's been since I last visited? You've moved from Valley to Beach!! Congratulations! My husband and I have always enjoyed visiting San Diego and there are quite a few food bloggers in the area, so I hope you get a chance to really get into that community. 8-)

kathryn said...

Oh, God! Those appliances are hilarious. Now *I* could make do with that...but not you!

Wow! With that said, I'm so happy for you! It sounds like paradise to me.