Sunday, April 17, 2011

Roasted Golden Beets with Sauteed Garlic Beet Greens

Yes, it took me a while, but I finally have a recipe to share! Things have been busy here. Work, house-hunting, beach walking - you know, that sort of thing. I made it to the farmer's market, too, and found these beautiful golden beets.

I never knew there was any beet other than the traditional red beet, so I was intrigued by these. The woman working the farm stand told me they would taste a little milder than a regular beet and best of all, they wouldn't stain your hands (and everything else) when you cut into them. They came with the greens still attached, too, which was a bonus. I decided to use everything in this yummy roasted beet with garlic beet greens side dish.


I agree that the golden beets were a little milder than red beets, but there was still that distinct "earthy" flavor, so I bet this recipe would work well with the red variety, too. (As a side note, I served this with a white salmon - it was a great pairing!)

Roasted Golden Beats with Sauteed Garlic Beet Greens
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
One bunch of golden beets
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 tsp. sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp. freshly ground mixed peppercorns (or plain ol' pepper)
2 cloves garlic, minced

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the tops off the beets, saving the greens for later. Wash the beets thorougly, then blot with a paper towel. Place beets in a small, oven-safe dish. Toss with 1 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. sea salt and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground peppercorns until evenly coated.
Cover with foil and bake at 400 for about 45 minutes or until fork-tender.
While the beets are roasting, wash beet greens thoroughly. Remove thick stems, saving just the leafy greens. Tear into 2-3" pieces.
When the beets come out of the oven, remove the foil and set them aside.
Heat remaining 1 tsp. olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute just until fragrant. Add beet greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are wilted (about 5-7 minutes).
Cut roasted beets into sections and add to wilted greens just before serving.

4 comments:

Rita said...

With all going on in your life, I'm so impressed you took teh time to roast beets; wow.
And...what a recipe. While we were on holidays in March, most meals were served with gold, white of pink roasted beets. Thanks to you, now I can try my hand as this.they are so sweet.
Rita

Tangled Noodle said...

The first time I tried Golden Beets, I turned them into a sweet sauce for ice cream! It worked well, although they did retain that 'earthy' taste you mentioned. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can find golden beets here in Manila, so I'll just have to enjoy them through your post! 8-)

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

One of my fave ways to eat beets - and good for you for using the greens! Most people look them over , but I really love them!

Dan said...

These look great. Never thought about using the greens as well.

I don't get to eat beets often b/c my wife has a reaction to the sulfur.