Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tortellini Soup

As I mentioned in my last post (thanks for all your thoughts, BTW - very interesting!), I do use convenience items sometimes. Working full time outside the home and being in charge of a whole lot of snow removal lately, there are days when I just get started on dinner at 7:30 or 8 and I want a warm, home cooked meal in a hurry. This tortellini soup definitely fits the criteria. It uses a couple of prepackaged items and comes together in about a half hour, even though it tastes like a soup that's been simmering all afternoon.

Tortellini Soup
(adapted from Betty Crocker's Fix-It Fast Family Favorites)

Ingredients:
1 (0.9 oz.) envelope vegetable soup mix
5 cups water
2 small carrots, sliced thinly
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tsp. olive oil
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 cups frozen beef tortellini
grated parmesan (optional)

Method:
In a large pot, mix together vegetable soup mix, water and sliced carrots. Cover and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, rinse spinach thoroughly and spin in salad spinner to remove excess water. Chop roughly.
Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add spinach and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach is just wilted, stirring often.
Add cooked spinach to boiling soup mixture.
Add frozen tortellini and bring back to a boil. Cook 10-15 minutes until tortellini is tender.
Spoon into bowls and top with grated parmesan, if desired.

(This also makes for great leftovers the next day - just leave the parmesan off until you're ready to serve the soup.)

5 comments:

Rita said...

I have frozen tortellini in my freezer and have been wondering where to find a good recipe and here it is; thank you. Great photo

Lin Ann said...

This is soup is so nice and sounds so easy to make for a busy family. My friend makes a wonderful tortellini soup similar to this that I absolutely love.

Rita said...

Just came to tell you I made this and we loved it; thank you for adding this easy soup recipe to may collection.
Rita

mangocheeks said...

I haven'tmade totellini soup for a while, this has reminded me that I should some time soon.

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

This used to be our new years tradition! Until I became gluten-free that is...it looks delicious!