Monday, February 21, 2011

Raspberry Delight Brownies

Last summer, Mr. ValleyWriter and I spent a lovely afternoon on the Connecticut Wine Trail. Our first stop, the Connecticut Valley Winery, had several great dessert wines. One of them was called Raspberry Delight - a white grape wine infused with fresh raspberries. It was slightly sweet, but not cloyingly so, and we thought it would make a great summer sangria.

We ran out of summer before the raspberry sangria came about, so into the back of the fridge the wine went. As I was cleaning out the fridge the other day, I saw the bottle and remembered something the winery owner had said about using the wine in place of water in brownies. And so, when a craving for brownies hit today, I knew what I was making.

The Raspberry Delight wine adds just a slight hint of raspberry flavor to these brownies, but elevates them to a slightly more elegant dessert. Of course, serving them with a glass of the raspberry wine itself never hurts!

Raspberry Delight Brownies
(Makes a 9x13 pan of brownies)

Ingredients:
1 c. granulated sugar
4 Tbsp. butter
6 Tbsp. raspberry wine
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. cocoa
4 eggs
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper (or spray with oil).
In a saucepan, heat sugar, butter and raspberry wine until melted. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Whisk in eggs until well blended.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
Spread brownie batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 325°F for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out (mostly) clean.
Cool completely (or as long as you can hold out!) before cutting.


In a dessert mood now? Check out these other great sweets at Sweet as Sugar Cookie's Sweets for a Saturday roundup.






8 comments:

N.D. said...

wow what a great idea = wine and brownies!! :) they look great.

Rita said...

This must taste heavenly!I can just imagine it on my taste buds.
Rita

Facing50Blog.com said...

'Slobber slobber, drool, drool' - oh bother I've messed up my keyboard again getting carried away at the thought of eating brownies and drinking wine- heaven!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

What an awesome idea! I bet they were fantastic!

Lisa said...

Mmm, these sound like they'd taste just like my favorite raspberry truffles. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your brownies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html

ValleyWriter said...

Thanks for the invite, Lisa - I've linked up!

Sweet And Crumby said...

I absolutely can't wait to make these! I am going to an Academy Award themed party tonight and I may have to make these cut into stars! :)

Amy said...

hm...this is such a delicious combination of flavor. Can't wait to try this.

I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

Amy
http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html