Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spinach & Feta-Stuffed Flank Steak

I'm back in the valley now - and back to my kitchen. After vacation, I was checking out the contents of the fridge/freezer and realized I still had another large grass-fed flank steak from Hearst Ranch to use up. Since the weather has turned markedly cooler, I decided to go with something roast-like - and so this recipe was born. It's a take off of a flank-steak roulade, but I didn't pound the steak as thin or use as much of it to actually be able to roll it into layers. It's still absolutely delicious, though!

Spinach & Feta-Stuffed Flank Steak
(Serves 3-4)
 
Ingredients
12 oz. flank steak (I took a 20 oz. one and cut it to use only about 2/3rds)
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
8 oz. frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
2 Tbsp. garlic onion jam (this is really good stuff! but if you don't have it/don't want to buy it - you could substitute some minced garlic)


For the marinade:
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. red wine
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Method
The night before, pound the flank steak out until it's about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Poke it with the knife to create slits in the meat. Mix the marinade ingredients together in a glass dish or plastic food bag, add steak and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to start cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Remove the steak from the marinade and lay it flat on a cutting board. Spread the garlic onion jam over the top evenly. Spread the spinach out on top evenly, then add the feta - again spreading out evenly into a single layer. From one of the short ends, roll the steak up so spinach/feta becomes stuffed inside. Use toothpicks or cooking twine to secure the meat, if needed.
Place in an oven-safe dish.
Bake at 350 for 40-60 minutes, depending on desired doneness. (I cooked ours for 40 minutes to a temperature of 145 degrees F and it came out rare/medium-rare, which turned out to be perfect for us.)
Let sit 5 minutes before slicing.

I served this with some roasted patio potatoes - delish!

Flank Steak

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I can't wait for my detox to be over so I can eat steak once again. lol.

Alisa said...

This looks good!I hope you could add this flank steak widget at the end of your post so we could get this update on your most recent recipe :) Thanks!

kathryn said...

Oh, yummy. MEAT. Such a lovely break from all that chicken!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

Wow, this looks incredible! Love it!