Sunday, October 24, 2010

A new twist on an old favorite - sweetened-up French toast

French toast is a simple, classic breakfast favorite. It's pretty basic, too - eggs, milk, cinnamon & bread. But as basic as it may be, I still found myself one Sunday with a craving for French toast and a missing staple - no milk. I did, however, have some leftover sweetened condensed milk from a dessert I'd recently made, so I figured I'd give it a shot. We ended up liking it even better than the original version and it's become a new standard in our household! (In case you're not familiar with it - sweetened condensed milk can be kept in the cupboard unopened for months and once opened, stays good in the fridge at least twice as long as regular milk - so it's easier to keep on hand.)

The sweetened condensed milk takes away from the "egginess" that French toast can sometimes have. It also obviously adds some sweetness - but it's not over the top. I like to serve this topped with some berries and just a drizzle of maple syrup. Very easy, but very yummy!


French Toast (with sweetened condensed milk)
(Serves 4)

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/4 c. sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 slices bread
1/2 c. blueberries
maple syrup

Method
Whisk eggs, sweetened condensed milk, water, cinnamon and vanilla in large bowl.
Heat griddle or nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
Quickly dip 1 bread slice into egg mixture, coating both sides. Place on griddle/pan. Repeat with as many bread slices as will fit on your pan. Flip once bread is browned and cook another 2-3 minutes until both sides are evenly browned.
Repeat dipping and frying until all slices of bread are cooked.
Top with blueberries and serve with a side of maple syrup.

10 comments:

Rita said...

Nothing beats a good french toast at home. I had a couple of times at the restaurant and was so. disappointed. Yours looks perfect and with those blueberries.
Rita

Jenn said...

It's been a while since I've made french toast. Home-made deliciousness.

kathryn said...

Oh, yum! This one's getting printed out...we adore french toast! And I honestly don't think I can screw it up, either...a huge plus in this house.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

It looks delicious Amber! I love that your ingenuity in a pinch lead to an even better breakfast! :)

oliepants said...

I love the idea of using sweetened condensed milk on french toast...well sweetened condensed milk on anything really....! :)

Climb2Nowhere said...

I'm starving right now and that looks delicious! I can't wait to try the recipe!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Ur rite, totally agree and love ur gorgeous deliciousness on the Classic french toast!!

David L Macaulay said...

sounds nice - may give this a go

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Lena Voth said...

Trying this tonight! We're moving back to the States (from Japan) in the morning and have only bread, eggs, and sweetened condensed milk (along with some spices and such) left in the cupboard! I was thinking French toast until I saw we had no milk but then google lead me to you! Thanks!

XOXO/Lena @ RootandBlossom