Sunday, July 11, 2010

Simple, But Delicious - Quick & Easy Coffee Cake

As I'm sure many have heard by now - it was one heck of a hot, muggy week last week in the Northeast. We are fortunate enough to have central air conditioning (a luxury in this neck of the woods where it's really only needed a couple of weeks a year) - but I'm still not keen on the idea of heating up the house more than I need to, so I've been grilling and a sticking to cold foods the last week. And of course, the entire time, I've been craving baked goods. Silly, I know. I think it's almost that - "you can't have it so you want it really badly" mentality.

Anyway - we finally got some rain yesterday which cooled things off a bit, so when I woke up to find it was "only" 70 degrees this morning, I decided I'd strike while the iron was hot (but not the house) - and make a quick coffee cake.

The great thing about this recipe is that it's simple, comes together quickly and uses ingredients that most people have on hand. The only thing I sometimes am missing is the sour cream, but yogurt also works - especially greek yogurt. From the time you start mixing to your first bite, you only need about an hour and 15 minutes, and the majority of that time is for baking. 

Quick & Easy Coffee Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

1/3 c. white sugar
4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together butter and 3/4 c. sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then beat in sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and powder. Add to liquid ingredients, beating on low speed just until combined.
In a small bowl, mix 1/3 c. white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Grease and flour a bundt pan.
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. of sugar & spice mixture on the bottom of the pan. Spoon in 1/2 of the cake batter. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over the batter. Top with remaining batter.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Then run a knife around the edge, place a plate over the opening of the bundt pan and flip over to release cake.
Grab your favorite cup o' joe and enjoy!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Delicious coffee cake!!!! Glad that it cooled off for a little bit. I can totally understand the heat. Stay cool!!

kathryn said...

Oh, yum. I'll have to try making this for the boys...if it ever cools down again before October! (I asked for summer weather...right??)

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

I love coffee cake, Amber! Yours looks absolutely perfect!

Jody said...

It was lovely (and easy to make). Thanks for sharing Amber. x

N.D. said...

this looks so good and easy!