Sunday, July 25, 2010

BBQ-rubbed chicken drumsticks & first-of-the-season corn on the cob

Over the last two weeks or so, I started seeing more and more "Native Corn" signs on my way home from work and I started to get excited. Valley corn is THE best in my opinion. It's sweet, it's juicy - it's perfect. But to do it justice, you really have to get it fresh and use it within a day or two. Picking up ears at the grocery store, when you have no idea how long they've been sitting there, simply will not do. It's taken me a few days to get corn on the menu, but finally tonight I got my act together and made it to our local farm in time to grab a few ears.

I decided to go really simple and serve it with BBQ-rubbed drumsticks. As I mentioned last post, one of my tricks to eating healthier, more organic, etc., is to buy things on sale. A lot of times, that also includes less popular cuts of meat. Boneless, skinless chicken breast seems to be the queen of chicken cuts these days. She goes for about $6/lb around these parts (that's for antibiotic-free, hormone-free, humanely treated chicken). But drumsticks and thighs? Always cheaper. Sometimes MUCH cheaper. This week - drumsticks were $1.49/lb. And drumsticks are perfect for grilling! They stay nice and juicy and they're very flavorful, even if you remove the skin.

BBQ Spice Rubbed Chicken Drumsticks

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. chicken drumsticks (leave the skin on for now; if you don't want to eat it, remove it after cooking)
2 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. ground mustard
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. salt

Method:
In a zipper bag or glass bowl, toss chicken and olive oil. In a seperate small bowl, mix paprika, mustard, cayene, garlic powder, celery seed and salt. Add to chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 4 hours to let flavors penetrate chicken
Place drumsticks on grill set to medium heat. Turn drumsticks every 5-7 minutes, covering grill in between, for about 35 minutes until juices run clear (if you're using a meat thermometer, aim for 165-175 F).
Let sit about 5-10 minutes before serving (just enough time to boil a few ears of corn - yum!).

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Tis the season for the bbq!! Mmmmm...Luckily, it's warmed up a bit here in LA, so I'm happy to bust out the grill.

Tangled Noodle said...

Thank you for highlighting dark meat! I love to use drumstick and thighs but they get such a bum rap compared to white meat. We're trying to grill as much as possible while we can so all grill recipes are always welcome. Corn season is the best - I plan to pick some up this week, but as you say, I want to wait until I know that I will be serving it immediately. 8-)

kathryn said...

I love this! I love to grill...it's great to send all that smoke into the neighborhood directly...instead of having to bother to open windows, etc.

I'm trying this one...soon!

kathryn said...

Hey girlie-

FYI...I've just completed your chicken on my grill! (Thank you for telling me to close the cover between turnings...I need everything totally spelled out for me.)

You should've seen me...every 6 minutes...running out the door to turn the chicken.

I made about 3X the amount (2 boys...you get the drill)and.............................................................
YUMMY. It's got a kick...probably the cayenne pepper....I may have rounded my tablespoons. Da boys are looking at me all wild-eyed! Ha!

ValleyWriter said...

Awesome Kathryn - I'm glad you tried it and liked it!!