Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pancakes Made Even Easier

As soon as we got back from vacation, I came down with a cold that turned into a sinus infection, so I've been under the weather the last few days. This time around, this infection has really sapped my energy - so much so that I don't feel like going to the store to get groceries (I normally love grocery shopping) or doing much cooking (which I, again, normally enjoy). So, it's been a "clean-out-the-fridge" week for us. And meals have been simple. But sometimes, those are the best! For example.. how about pancakes for dinner?


Just before I was about to make these, I had cleaned out an ketchup bottle for recycling. Then I remembered some show (maybe it was even a commercial?) where I saw a woman reusing these squeeze bottles to make perfectly round pancakes. So, I thought I'd give it a try.

First - the pancake recipe:

Basic Pancakes
(Makes about 8 3" pancakes)

Ingredients:
1 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp. oil

Method:
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until well combined and no longer clumpy.

Now - for the neat trick: Pour your pancake batter into a well-cleaned squeeze bottle (the ketchup bottle worked great - I just used a funnel to make getting the batter in there easier).

Now lightly oil your frying pan and heat it up over medium-low heat. Open the top of the batter bottle and squeeze the batter out into the pan:


Through the magic of gravity, the batter spreads out into perfectly round little pancakes. Let them cook until bubbles form, flip and cook 1 more minute, then add syrup and enjoy.

I think the best part of this is that, if you've got leftover batter, you can just close up the top of the bottle and store it in the fridge for a few days. I can see this making weekday mornings a breeze (if you do a cooked breakfast). Plus, I bet it would work great for making shaped pancakes with ease (dear Mr. ValleyWriter: do not be surprised if Mickey Mouse pancakes suddenly begin appearing on your plate...).

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Ha...would you look at that. That's a really neat trick. I'm going to have to keep that in mind. I have a ketchup and mayo bottle that's almost done. I need to remember to save it, so that I can make perfectly round pancakes. Yum!!!

rheumablog said...

What a terrific idea!
I haven't eaten pancakes in years -- even when I'm not "dieting" they're not in my diet -- but the other reason I don't make them is that they always end up misshapen and not very nice looking. SO, you've solved that problem for me!
Now I just need to find a good recipe for wholegrain pancakes and maaaaaaaaybe I can justify making some one Sunday morning soon. Thanks for a great idea, VW. :)
-Wren

Raaga said...

Lovely!

I made pancakes for breakfast just last morning. I use a ladle and they are perfectly round. But I love this idea