Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Northampton Tuesday Farmers' Market

This summer, we decided not to join the CSA and to instead check out the local farmers' markets for fresh produce. We're lucky enough to have quite a few markets within a 15 mile radius, so I'm hoping to check out as many different ones as a I can.

My first stop this year was to the Northampton Tuesday Farmers' Market behind Thorne's Marketplace. (There's also one on Saturdays, but in a different spot - hence the distinction in the name.)
As I expected for early in the season, I found mostly salad greens, seedlings and flowers for sale. It worked out, because that's just what I was looking for. I loaded my bag up with mixed organic greens and bok choy from Old Friends Farm in Amherst, spinach from Town Farm in Northampton, and kale and boston lettuce from Park Hill Orchard in Easthampton. I also was lucky enough to find Sangha Farm (in Ashfield) offering chevre (goat cheese), which I gladly picked up a tub of.

It turned out to be perfect timing to have all these fresh, wonderful greens - because we're having some HOT weather this week. Tonight, I wanted nothing to do with the stove, so I turned to a bunch of these great ingredients for a quick and simple -yet delicious - salad. It's a true tour of what western MA farms have to offer, featuring the mixed salad greens from Old Family Farm, spinach from Town Farm and chevre from Sangha Farm.

Roasted Red Pepper & Chevre Mixed Green Salad
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
3 cups leafy mixed greens
1 cup baby spinach
1 roasted red pepper, sliced
2 oz. chevre
1/4 c. toasted pine nuts

3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Method
Combine greens and spinach in a bowl. Sprinkle pepper slices, chevre and pine nuts evenly over the top.
To make the dressing, combine vinegar, mustard in garlic powder in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until well combined. Add salt & pepper to taste. Drizzle over salad and enjoy right away!


(I must give a special shout out to Casey from Old Friends Farm who I was lucky enough to have a nice, albeit quick, chat with. I told him about my project and he shared his own wish, if it were possible, to take some summers off to visit all of his friends' farms. He's always so hard at work during the growing season, he's never had a chance to see them in full bloom. He made me realize how lucky I am to have this opportunity to "travel" the various farms through these markets - not only to get to see all their offerings, but also to hear some of their stories. Here's a special thanks to all the hard work that people like him do - thank you!!)

1 comment:

kathryn said...

How lovely, honey! You should give Casey your blog address here...he can visit everyone vicariously through you!

Salad looks so refreshing....and I'm not even (that) hungry...