Monday, May 31, 2010

(Almost) Sunday Suppers: Spinach & Bacon Souffle

Here I am, sitting down at the end of another gorgeous weekend getting ready to do my "Sunday Suppers" post, when I realized - it's not Sunday. As they say - time flies when you're having fun! I don't know about you, but Monday holidays often end up feeling like Sundays to me - a chance to relax and gear up for the week ahead. So, as part of that, we had our Sunday Supper tonight.

I had planned this dinner out last week when I picked up some baby spinach from the Farmers Market. I found this recipe and thought it would work great for the 2 of us, since it was only 3 eggs. (Most of the other recipes I found had 5 or 6 - way too much for 2 people.) I was all set to go... until I realized I'd used the last of the butter in a batch of cookies I made for a BBQ we went to on Sunday. I didn't want to go out, so I got creative with what I had on hand (dangerous when you're making a recipe for the first time!). I nervously put my goat & neufchatel-cheese-subbed-for-butter creation into the oven and was so excited when I opened it 30 minutes later, I took a picture right then and there. Drum roll please.... my Spinach & Bacon Souffles:

Big and puffy just like they're supposed to be. And they tasted yummy, too! As a happy accident, they also happen to be lighter on the saturated fat (never a bad thing in my book) owing to the lack of butter. To boot, they were really easy to make. I'd say if you can beat egg whites, you can make souffle.

On to the recipe -

Spinach & Bacon Souffle
(Serves 2)

Ingredients
3 slices turkey bacon
1 lb. fresh spinach, stems removed
1 Tbsp. goat cheese
1 oz. neufchatel cheese
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup low-fat milk
2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
3 eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
olive oil spray

Method
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut turkey bacon into 1/2" pieces and tear spinach into bite sized pieces. Spray a frying pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add bacon to pan and cook 3-4 minutes until bacon starts to crisp. Add spinach on top, reduce heat to low and cook another 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine goat cheese, neufchatel and 2 Tbsp. of milk. Stir until cheese melts. Add flour and whisk constantly until smooth. Slowly add remaining milk, then the parmesan cheese, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and spinach and bacon mixture.
Separate eggs, reserving whites in a clean, cold bowl. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add about 1/3 of the spinach/milk mixture to the yolks and whisk. Slowly add this to the remaining spinach/milk mixture.
Beat separated egg whites into stiff peaks. Slowly fold the spinach/yolk/milk mixture into the egg whites just until combined. (There may be lumps of egg white - that's OK. You don't want to over-fold.)
Pour mixture evenly into two well-greased, 2-cup ramekins. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 25 minutes (no peaking!) until souffle is poofy and eggs are cooked all the way through. 
Serve in ramekins.

10 comments:

Jessie said...

These souffles are beautiful! I'm still haunted from this horrible egg souffle I had to make in 7th day in my "Teen Living" class.. Ohh it was awful1 These look so tasty though, and I love all the ingredients! I'll have to try these-- yum!

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

You created a new recipe! And they look absolutely delicious! :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh yes, this is good stuff. Spinach and bacon are made for each other, especially when cheese is involved.

rheumablog said...

Wow, those are gorgeous, VW! I've never had the courage to try a souffle, but you're sure tempting me. That recipe really is very simple, so I'd feel pretty cowardly if I didn't at least make the attempt. So I've copied it into my recipes file and soon ... soon ... there will be bacon and spinach souffles for brekky in the Wren's nest.

Thanks for sharing your recipe adventures with us! Hope you're feeling well.
Best,
Wren

ValleyWriter said...

Yes, Wren, I promise they are easy - even for our ouchy hands!!

N.D. said...

These look fantastic! love the farmer's market too.

Jenn said...

Wow!!! I want some of that souffle. Being away for two weeks, you tend to miss out on some great goodies. Good thing I'm catching up now. :) Plus, I saw the word bacon and that immediately caught my attention. hahaha...

Ellen Zames said...

Oh my goodness these look fabulous!!

My sisters and I just started our first themed blog hop over at http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com beginning tomorrow. This weeks theme is appetizers. We would love for you to come over and share these or any of your favorite appetizer recipes with our blog readers. Have a great weekend.

Ellen

K. Nikole Gurney-Troyon said...

1 lb of Spinach seems like too much for 3 eggs in 2 small souffle dishes. How much did you use?

Amber Gabrenas said...

K. Nicole - keep in mind that's fresh spinach, which cooks down A LOT. 1lb fresh equals about 1 cup cooked, which is what I used. If you have already cooked spinach (say frozen spinach) - use about 6-8 oz. Happy cooking!