Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday Suppers - Pasta Pignoli

Tonight's dish was created around 1 thing - pine nuts (pignoli). I'm not sure why, but for the last couple of days, I've been craving pine nuts. I mean, it's not like they're really a delicacy or overly flavorful on their own - but nonetheless, I had to have them. So, I went browsing the store with pignoli dreams and came up with a fairly simple pasta dish that is big on flavor - and incorporates those crunchy yet creamy little nuts.

Of course, it features one of the things pignoli are most famous for - pesto. I made fresh pesto for this dish because I think it gives a much brighter flavor, but you could also used store-bought.

Pasta Pignoli
(Serves 2-3)

Ingredients:
6 oz. chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c. sundried tomatoes
1/2 c. marinated artichoke hearts
3 Tbsp. pesto (see recipe below)
1/4 c. pine nuts
wedge of lemon (about 1/4)
parmesan shavings for garnish, if desired
salt & pepper
6 oz. whole-grain angel hair pasta

Method:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt & pepper and add to pan. Cook just until no longer pink. Add sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, pesto and pine nuts. Cover and simmer over low heat.

Meanwhile, cook pasta 6-7 minutes until al dente. Drain and add to chicken/pesto mixture. Squeeze lemon wedge over the top of everything, stir and cook 1-2 minutes until pasta reaches desired doneness.

Top with parmesan shavings before serving, if desired.

Homemade pesto
(Makes about 3/4 c.)

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic
1/3 c. toasted pignoli (pine nuts)
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
2 oz. basil leaves
1/4-1/3 c. olive oil
salt, if needed

Method:
Mince garlic in a food processor. Add pignoli and pulse several times until well chopped. Add parmesan cheese and basil leaves and set processor on low, drizzling in olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Add salt to taste, if needed.

6 comments:

Eat Well, Eat Cheap said...

This dish sounds and looks and (we're sure) tastes like spring. Now WE'RE craving pine nuts and basil!

kathryn said...

Okay...it's official. No matter what time of day I read you, you make me hungry.

It must be all that good cookin'. I wish I had me some smell-o-vision!

YUM.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

Looks so good, I have made pastas like this before, and the combination of flavors are so good. I love the little crunch of pine nuts too!

Nunzio Bruno said...

It's 11:20pm on Thursday night and I just finished washing the dishes from this last recipe..that chicken was soo good. I know I probably shouldn't be eating this late but I was working on http://www.financiallydigital.com and had to eat. Decided to support another local blogger and now 10min later I am ready for a food induced coma..those are my favorite kind of coma's, lol. I'm a def a fan!

rheumablog said...

Wow -- another tasty, healthy dish to try out!

Thanks for sharing this recipe -- it sounds absolutely scrumptious!
-Wren

The Duo Dishes said...

The more pine nuts, the better. They make pasta good.