Thursday, April 29, 2010

My home away from home - the beach!

I know it's been quiet the last week, but that's just because I've been lucky enough to be at the beach! I am a beach baby - always have been, always will be. When I was a kid, my parents took us to a nearby lake to go swimming nearly every night in the summer. And most years, we also spent a couple of weeks camping at the ocean in Maine. To this day, anytime I get to sink my toes in the sand, I am a happy girl. (Heck, I even got married at the beach!)

This past week's adventures took us to beaches in both Virginia and North Carolina. We started out at Virginia Beach, where we got a couple of afternoons of sightseeing in. The first day, we walked about 2 miles, which doesn't sound like much. But when you have RA and you're wearing unsupportive flip flops... not a great idea. So, the next day, we got ourselves a 2-man peddle bike:


That was much better!
The boardwalk actually has a bike path separate from the walking path, so it's easy to get around this way. While tooling about, we saw a karate class on the beach:

and made it most of the way up the boardwalk to check out the Neptune statue:

No matter how many times I see this, I am always amazed by it. It's great piece of art - and really unexpected in the middle of the beach! There are actually several memorials and statues to check out as you cruise along the Virginia Beach boardwalk, so it's really fun to explore.

The next day, we decided to take a drive down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. We headed first to the Currituck Beach Lighthouse. They allow visitors to climb to the top and it's a pretty good climb:


But the views are totally worth it:




After that, we sat on the beach in the 80 degree weather for a couple of hours and just listened to the waves break, watching the pelicans fly by. It was incredibly relaxing and rejuvinating.

But, the fairytale must always come to an end, so now we're back in New England (we were welcomed by some flurries on Tuesday - yuck!). At least the sun is out today. Maybe I'll dump the sand out of our suitcase onto the deck and pretend I'm at the beach. Hey, a girl can dream...

4 comments:

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Welcome home--looks like you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing your pics! (Wish I was there though...)

Jenn said...

A much well deserved trip. I love beach days. They're a great excuse to lounge around and relax.

kathryn said...

Wow. Fabulous photos, sweetie- Looks beautiful and peaceful and beach-y!

I love the beach too...had to get married by the water. I'm furiously packing...but came across a bag of sand from the Cape. I keep sticking my hand in the bag and meditating...

I'm glad you had fun!

rheumablog said...

Ah, what a nice holiday you had. Beautiful photos, too. Welcome home!
-Wren