Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Burritos

Spring has sprung a few days early here in the Valley - and I couldn't be happier! The sunshine and extra daylight has pulled me right out of the winter doldrums. And it's also got me craving less hearty, brighter meals. When I think of "bright" food, I think lemons, cilantro, tomatoes, vinaigrettes, etc. For tonight's dinner, I incorporated 2 of those into a quick, tasty weeknight meal - black bean burritos. And because we like heat in the ValleyWriter household, I spiced things up while I was at it.

Now, I do have a picture of this meal - but I have to apologize in advance for it. It's a lovely shot of the tortilla - but the filling is out of focus - whoops! I have a new camera (the old one met an unfortunate end recently) and I'm still figuring things out.

Ok - on with it!

Spicy Black Bean Burritos
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
2 10" flour tortillas
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup cooked black beans
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. sriracha chili sauce
1 Tbsp. jalepano peppers

Method:
Prepare rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, add beans, tomatoes, cilantro srirach and jalapeno peppers. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Add 1/2 of mixture to each tortilla. Roll up into a burrito, tucking the short ends in to contain the filling.

That's all - simple, tasty, filling - and SPRINGY!!!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I can definitely go for a burrito right now. And I'm definitely ready for spring. Luckily, it was a nice day out, so I need to make something "spring-y"

momgateway said...

WOw, this looks so yummy---I bet my heat loving son will love this doe dinner!

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

kathryn said...

Oh, yummy! I think Taylor would like this...like the members of the VW house, he likes the heat...like me.

I am not seeing the out-of-focus thing, sweetie. The photo looks great to me.

We've had incredible weather here in NY as well. I'm. Loving. It!

mangocheeks said...

The black bean burrito so appeals to me, as well as the spice hit.