Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

A couple of months ago, I tried my hand at bagels for the first time. They came out so well, now I'm hooked on homemade bagels. Fresh and warm out of the oven, they are an amazing treat - no cream cheese or butter required! This weekend, I made up a batch of cinnamon raisin. I finally got the ratio of cinnamon & raisins to the point that I'm happy with them - so I thought I'd share!

To give credit where credit is due, my recipe is adapted from this one at Allrecipes.com. I let my dough rise for an hour at each step, partly because the house is cooler and partly because that's what worked for my schedule. The original recipe calls for shorter rising times (15-20 minutes), so if you're short on time - you could give that a try.

(Don't you just love those beautiful flecks of cinnamon?! Yum!!)

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
(Makes 8 large "New York Style" bagels)

Ingredients:
4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water
3 Tbsp. sugar
4 - 4 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, divided
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. raisins (I used a mix of golden & regular)
1 Tbsp. white sugar
 
Method:
Mix yeast, water and 3 Tbsp. sugar in a small bowl. Let sit 10 minutes to proof.
Add 2 c. flour, plus salt and cinnamon and beat with a hand mixer for 2-3 minutes.
Add remaining flour 1/2 c. at a time until dough is stiff and no longer sticky.
Dump dough out onto a floured surface, place the raisins in the middle and begin kneading dough. (Raisins will incorporate during the kneading process.)
Continue kneading 8-10 minutes until dough is smooth.
Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour.
Divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then stick your finger through the middle and shape into a ring. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise another hour.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp. sugar to the water.
Drop a couple of bagels into the water at a time and boil for 7 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet with oil.
Put boiled bagels onto cookie sheet and bake 25-30 minutes, turning 1/2 way through so the bagels brown evenly.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Bagels and pretzels are two on my list of things I must make. I'll take mine toasted half with cream cheese and half with butter.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kathryn said...

Yowsa....my printer did NOT want to print out the bottom of this recipe...but I persevered...and I WILL try this recipe! Cinnamon raisin bagels are my favorite....I'll keep you posted!