Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Suppers - Spicy Super Bowl Snacks!

In the days leading up to this weekend, I was soo excited for Sunday. Is that because I'm a football fan? Heeellll no! (Well, those tight pants with the padded butts are a fave, but I digress.) It's for the food! I love Super Bowl munchies - chili, wings, nachos, anything deep fried - Bring It ON!!

So, tonight's Sunday Suppers obviously has to be a Super Bowl Edition. Rather than having one real "meal" tonight, we'll be snacking throughout the evening. (And did you know that any football-related food eaten on Super Bowl Sunday doesn't count? That's right! Wing it up! Just stay away from the broccoli alfredo - that still has full fat and calories.)

The 2 best dishes (IMHO) on the menu tonight are the Spicy Black Bean Nachos and the Spicy Sweet Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing.

Of course, we can't start our Spicy Super Bowl cooking without the appropriate Super Bowl beverage:


Got your tall glass of cold beer? OK - ready to start.

Spicy Black Bean Nachos - Now, there isn't a real recipe for these nachos, per say. I kind of think of nachos as the Tex-Mex version of pizza. You can put just about anything on them and they taste good. With that in mind, I just do a sprinkle of this and a sprinkle of that, until it looks good. The "this and that" for this version involves black beans mixed with some spicy enchilada sauce, salsa, pickled jalapeno peppers and shredded pepper jack cheese. Load that all up over nacho chips, bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes (or until cheese is melted) and voila!

Next up are the Red Hot Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing. These involve a little bit more planning - and actual measuring. But they are worth it!


Spicy Sweet Chicken Wings

Ingredients:
2 lbs. chicken wings
5 Tbsp. honey
5 Tbsp. Sriracha hot chili sauce
3 Tbsp. pineapple preserves
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Method:
Cut the tips off the wings (discard or reserve for making chicken stock). Then break down into wingettes and drummettes ("flats" and "rounds").
In a non-reactive bowl, combine honey, Sriracha, pineapple preserves and red pepper. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a large ziplock bag. Add chicken wings and shake to coat. Refrigerate for 4-24 hours.
Cover the remaining sauce and refrigerate for later.
When ready to cook, turn broiler on high. Place marinated chicken pieces in a single layer on a broiler pan. Broil 10 minutes, flip chicken and broil another 10 minutes on the other side, or until chicken is cooked through.
Toss cooked chicken in remaining (un-used) sauce and serve with....

Blue Cheese Dressing

Ingredients:
3 oz. blue cheese
2 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. plain yogurt
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
pinch garlic powder

Method:
In a small bowl, mix blue cheese and milk with a fork until cheese forms small crumbles. Add yogurt, mayo, vinegar and garlic. Stir to mix. (Add more garlic powder to taste, if desired.) Cover and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.

Now, I said I'm not a football fan (and truly, I'm not), but I will be watching the full game tonight. And I will even be rooting for a certain team. Not because I actually know anything about either team. No, I don't use that kind of logic. My scientific method for picking a team? Who has the snazziest uniform. And I say this year it's a no brainer. The Saints with those gold lamé pants are the clear winners in my book!

6 comments:

Shari said...

I have the same glasses, can't wait to pair it with your wing recipe!

Angie said...

Those wings look great! I love sweet spicy combinations.

Ken Albala said...

Pineapple in the chicken wing sauce is such a neat idea. I wonder if pineapple juice would work as a marinade, maybe tenderizer too?

Ken

ValleyWriter said...

I bet pineapple juice would work well, Ken. And you're right about the tenderizing, too!

Kathryn said...

Oh, sweetie...you make the best stuff! I can almost smell it from here!

I LOVE your countertop, btw!

Tangled Noodle said...

I confess that we skipped the Super Bowl, although it was a small consolation to know that the Vikings were beaten by the eventual champs. You certainly like your snacks on the flaming side!