Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Suppers - Homemade Spaghetti & Meatballs

Sometimes, you just want a hearty, simple, delicious dinner. Even though I have absolutely ZERO Italian ancestry - this desire often leads me to pasta. Tonight, I decided to do some homemade sauce and meatballs (made with yummy, Wheel-View Farm grass-fed beef!). Since tomatoes aren't exactly in season in New England (ha!), I had to used canned tomatoes for this sauce. But it was just as yummy as the Tomato Basil Slow Cooker Sauce I made last summer with fresh tomatoes. And while it does take all day - most of it is hands off thanks to the slow cooker. Can't beat that!
WARNING: These recipes feed a crowd! I have enough for at least 3 meals for the 2 of us, so it feeds at least 6 (with hearty appetites at that!).

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
Ingredients:
48 oz. (2 big cans) whole tomatoes
8 oz. tomato paste
1/2 c. red wine
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:
Pour liquid from canned tomatoes into the crock of your slow cooker. Take the remaining tomatoes and give them a rough chop. Then add to the slow cooker. Stir in tomato paste, wine and garlic.
Set cooker on low for 6 hours.
After 6 hours, add basil, parsley and salt & pepper to taste. Let cook another 1-2 hours (with the meatballs - see below).

Wheel-View Farm Grass-fed Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb. grass-fed beef
2/3 c. fresh bread crumbs (save up your stale bread ends and them a quick whirl in the food processor)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg

Method:
Combine all ingredients with hands. Roll into 1" balls and place in lightly oiled baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes until browned. Add to sauce for 1-2 hours to finish cooking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathryn said...

Oh, yay! (Does Snoopy dance) I've been cooking something just. like. YOU!

YEAH....uh-huh.....I KNEW I had it in me!

(It's the one thing I've gotten good at making and it's perfect for da boys.)

rheumablog said...

Oh, my. That sounds delicious! I'm of Finnish/Irish/English ancestry, but I love pasta as much as any Italian out there, I think. I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks for posting it.

Also, hope you're feeling well!

-Wren

Tangled Noodle said...

I dusted off the slow cooker for a Valentine's Day meal so I'll just keep it out for this recipe! I'll definitely keep it mind when my husband's family comes for a visit. 8-)

TheOneTrueSue said...

This sounds yummy.