Sunday, February 14, 2010

Brewin' Beer - Part 2

I told you before there are a lot of steps to making beer and that it was kind of like friendship bread. Guess what? The very next day, someone brought friendship bread starter into work! Crazy, huh? Don't worry - I didn't take it. Something about it creeps me out. Food sitting out on the counter for 2 weeks? No thanks.

Beer on the hand? No problem!! We moved on to stage 2 of the beer making process by siphoning it from the lovely plastic bucket to a much nicer glass carboy (read: big glass container):
Now, you may be wondering how you get that siphon going from the plastic bucket to the carboy (or at least, we were). I suggested one of us (HIM!) suck on the end of the tube - but then Mr. ValleyWriter quickly reminded me that would kind of undo all the santizing we just did (you have to clean out all of the components with a special santizer before you use it so you don't grow happy little bacteria along with your brew...).

So what does one do in a situation like this? To YouTube of course! We found this very helpful video. It took us a few tries at first, but we got it to work and the beer was flowing!


In a few short days, we'll be on to the bottling stage. This time we'll have to siphon again - but into all the separate bottles, rather than 1 big container. Should be interesting... Stay tuned!

(Oh - and due to the fact that today is Valentine's Day - I'm getting a reprieve from the kitchen. No Sunday Suppers tonight! Happy V-Day every one!)

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow...I remember seeing the process once in Good Eats. I never realized there were so many steps. But I bet it'll be worth the effort for some home brew. Yum!!

Shari said...

I love beer! This is something I have always wanted to try, but have been too chicken. You might have given me just the right motivations! Can't wait too hear how it all turns out.

"Prof. Kitty" said...

If you haven't bottled yet, I have a siphon thingy I'd be happy to lend! It starts the flow with a couple of quick pumps. Let me know! (Beer looks FAB by the way. Love the color!)

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Wow, this is so exciting!!! Home brewing is something I have been interested in for a while. Can't wait to hear about the results...

Oh, and I hate to tell you, but sourdough bread (if you like it) starts with something sitting out on your counter for a few weeks too! LOL! ;)

Kathryn said...

OMG! That is sooooo cool. I am totally living vicariously through you.

What did we do before YouTube? That's how I learned how to open a coconut.