Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Weekend in Vermont - Part 2

Having learned our lesson Thursday night, we fiesta'd a little more responsibly on Friday night and woke up Saturday ready to get outside and enjoy the snow. It was actually a fairly mild weekend - temps were in the high 30s. A couple of friends had scoped out the sledding scene and found a huge hill open to the public behind the local middle school.

So into town we jaunted to find some sleds. We ended up going to Shaw's General Store and procuring a simple black 2-seater. Well, when we got to the hill, we almost instantly regretted our decision. This was a mega sledding hill -super steep and since we'd had some mild weather, the snow had been packed down and was slick. Just as an example, here's one of our friends cruising down the hill by himself at about Mach 1:


The weight of 2 people bombing down the hill was sure to make for an even more harrowing ride. But, we had bought the sled and we were here (and we're a little on the nutty side) - so we were going! Off we went, me in the front, Mr. ValleyWriter in the back. We hit some serious bumps and caught a little air and I was grinning the whole time.

I was so giddy that by the time we made it to the bottom, I was on my feet in an instant running back up the hill. Mr. ValleyWriter stayed at the bottom. I figured he just wasn't up for the climb. Turns out (I discovered later), he'd hit his head on one of the bumps on the way down and "got a free planetarium show." Oops. Bad wife. Bad, bad wife.

In repentance for my bad wifely behavior, I treated Mr. ValleyWriter to a visit to Ben & Jerry's. (OK - so our ride was going there anyway - but I did buy the ice cream!)

I was totally psyched when I convinced everyone to go in on the Vermonster. For those of you who have never heard of the Vermonster - it's a bucket of Ben & Jerry's goodness. Seriously - it's a big plastic bucket filled with 20 scoops of B&J's ice cream (in your choice of flavors), hot fudge, caramel, 3 cookies, a brownie, 4 bananas, a few scoops of walnuts, whipped cream and sprinkles:

(Oh - and a side of Lactaid for me! I bet they'd make a killing if they starting selling that along with the ice cream. Good thing I was prepared!)

They say it serves 4-6, but we figured we'd "spread" it across 8:

Even with hearty, hungry eaters - we didn't quite finish it all. But it was tons of fun trying!

For the icing on the cake to a wonderful weekend that last night, we had a "groovy" 70s party. So I leave you with my best rendition of a 70s Disco Queen:

It was an awesome weekend with awesome people - an experience I'll never forget! (Three days later and I'm still sashaying around the house singing "Dancing Queen"!)

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Can't believe you got the vermonster!!!! lol. I've heard stories about that. I need to get me out onto the slopes before all the snow melts away.

Looks like a fun time. I'd love to visit Vermont some day.

Kathryn said...

Aw, honey! You look beautiful! I'd heard about that ice cream thing on the Food Network! It's impossibly HUGE, right??

I'm sooo glad you had such a good time!

You've related the trip so well, I feel like I was there with you!

Chef Shari said...

now I want ice cream and it is only 7am....it could be a healthy breakfast, it has milk in it, right. Looks like you guys had a great weekend!

ValleyWriter said...

Aww - thanks Kathryn!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Looks like a great time - you were so brave to get the Vermonster!!!