Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Suppers - Lemon Pepper Pasta Primavera

Sunday Suppers are back! On tonight's menu (drum roll please.........) fresh pasta!! I love, love, love fresh pasta. And it really is pretty simple to make. But it's messy. And it takes a while. So - it does end up being a special meal for us. Hence, it's perfect for Sundays!

I've never made flavored pasta before, but I've been toying with idea for a while. Searching the fridge and cupboards today, I decided to do a lemon pepper linguine. It turned out really nice, with the lemon flavor coming through very subtly and just adding a bit of brightness to the dish. I kept it simple by tossing it with a sauce of diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olive oil and shredded goat cheese. It was a fresh, bright dish that really hit the spot on this dreary day.



Lemon Pepper Pasta Primavera
(Serves 4 hungry bellies)

Pasta:
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning

Sauce:
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic (undrained)
1 6-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained & rough chopped
1/3-1/2 c. shredded drunken goat cheese (you could also use parmesan or any other semi-hard to hard cheese you have on hand)

Method:
Place flour in a large bowl and make a well in the middle. Put 2 eggs and 1 egg white into center of well. Add lemon juice and lemon pepper seasoning. With a fork, beat eggs and lemon together. Slowly start to pull flour into the egg mixture from the sides of bowl. Continue pulling flour into egg until mixture is too stiff to mix with the fork anymore.

Pour out dough onto a cutting board and knead with hands to further combine ingredients. If dough is too dry, add a small splash water and continue to knead, adding a little more as needed to get dough to come together. (Alternatively, if dough is too sticky, add a small amount of flour at a time.) Continue kneading 5-10 minutes until dough is consistent in color and texture. Cover dough with a wet kitchen towel and let rest 15 minutes.

When ready to roll out, pull 1/4 of the dough off at a time and run through pasta maker until pasta reaches desired thickness. (I usually go to the 2nd thinnest setting for cut pasta like this.)
Set sheets of pasta on floured surface and let dry about 20 minutes.

Put linguine attachment on pasta machine. After sheets have dried for 20 minutes, run them through the cutting attachment one at a time and hang up cut pasta to dry. Repeat with all sheets.

(I used a clothes drying rack - wiped down first, of course - for drying. The back of a chair will also work.)

Let linguine ribbons dry about an hour. (This keeps the noodles from disintegrating and/or sticking together too much when you cook them. Trust me. Experience talking here!)

After an hour, bring a large pot of water with a few pinches of sea salt added to boil. While waiting for it to come to a boil, start making the sauce. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook just until fragrant. Add tomatoes and artichokes. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer.

When pasta water boils, add all of the pasta noodles. Boil 4-5 minutes until pasta floats and is firm to the bite. Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss to mix.

Plate pasta and sprinkle with 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Enjoy!

7 comments:

lk (Healthy Delicious) said...

this looks absolutely amazing! I adore fresh pasta, and your toppings are drool-worthy. lol @ the drying rack

Jenn said...

Nice job on the homemade pasta. I remember making pasta once. An experience I really don't want to remember, but I'm glad to say that I tried. Maybe I'll just have to wait until I get a pasta machine before I attempt at doing it by hand again. hehe...

MrsLavendula said...

wow! congrats on the homemade pasta!

Kathryn said...

You are totally my HERO, sweetie! I can't believe you make your own PASTA! I'm majorly impressed! It looks fabulous! Does Mr. ValleyWriter realize how LUCKY he is to have such a talented mate??

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This looks totally incredible! Going to check out your VT posts now! Can't believe I missed them!

Tangled Noodle said...

Your lemon pepper pasta is fantastic! I'm nowhere near making my own past but I can dream . . . and admire your dish!

The Duo Dishes said...

Very impressed you made the pasta. Nice job!