Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Suppers - Dijon Pork Tenderloin

Many of us have our personal New Year's resolutions - and the 1st of the year is also a popular time for new blog features and concepts. I didn't make any blog resolutions or concept changes last year, but I've decided to bite this time. As I was thinking a few days ago about what to have for Sunday dinner, it occurred to me that was the perfect idea for a weekly feature. And so, my version of Sunday Suppers here at Adventures in the Pioneer Valley was born.

I've mentioned a few times in previous posts that big Sunday dinners have a special place in my heart. Growing up, it was the one day of the week the family was sure to be together. And my mother always put extra effort into cooking, as she finally had the time (weeknight dinners were quick & easy since she was a working mom and my brother & I actually ended up doing a lot of the cooking). Even today, Sunday supper is still a little extra special. I usually take a little more time preparing it and don't mind if it takes more than 2 pots to make. And Mr. ValleyWriter and I actually sit at the dining room table to eat it (I know, I know - eating on the couch is a terrible habit, but we do it!).

So what's on tap for our first Sunday Supper? Pork tenderloin with a Dijon sauce and green beans almondine. Simple, yet elegant, healthy, but still super yummy.


Dijon Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients:

1 lb. pork tenderloin

For marinade:
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. orange juice


For sauce:
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2-3 Tbsp. water

Method:
The night before dinner, mix marinade ingredients together in a large ziplock bag. Place tenderloin in the marinade and refrigerate overnight.

To cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Pull the tenderloin out of the marinade and shake off any excess liquid. Sear the tenderloin on all sides by cooking for about 2 minutes and turning when meat lets go from the bottom of the pan easily. (If it sticks - let it cook longer.)

Place seared tenderloin in a baking dish and place in oven. Cook at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until pork reaches desired level of doneness. (I cook mine to about 155 degrees. This leaves it juicy and a little pink on the inside. Pink scares some people... so cook to 160 if you're one of those people.) Let the pork rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.

Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. (Add just enough water to reach desired consistency.) Cook on low for 5 minutes until heated through.


Green Beans Almondine

Ingredients:
1 lb. green beans, washed and trimmed
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. slivered almonds

Method:
Steam green beans in about 1/2 c. water over medium heat until tender-crisp. (About 10-15 minutes.)

Drain beans and set aside. Add butter to saucepan over low heat and stir until melted. Add almonds and stir. Then add green beans and stir to coat. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

tasty looking tenderloin.

I didn't make any blog resolutions. I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing. I'm pretty happy with what I got. ;-D

Western Mass Mama said...

This looks great! Here's a similar recipe you might like, that I recently discovered and which has quickly become a regular in our house. Enjoy!
http://www.pinkofperfection.com/2008/03/mustard-pork-chops-nigella-lawson/

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

myblissfulbites said...

Your pork looks perfectly cooked and I love pork and mustard. Delicious!

Kathryn said...

Yummy. Once again, you've managed to make me hungry at almost-bedtime. Sounds like a lovely resolution for the new year!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Love the new feature! I love that sauce too! YUM!