Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Suppers - The Best Laid Plans...

I had my Sunday Supper all planned out this week. I decided I'd try a new recipe for beef stroganoff. I got my dry aged beef, made my noodles and had everything simmering away on the stove. Then I got to the last step where you add the sour cream and.... crud! separating cream in hot beef sauce. Not pretty. OK, I thought, maybe it will still taste good. Well, the sauce was good. But the beef was tough. This was not the application for that particular cut of beef (I used stew beef; next time I think I'd go with tenderloin). Or, it needed to cook much, much longer (all day in the crockpot?). But, it was a little too late for that.

So, Mr. ValleyWriter and I basically ate sauce (with broken sour cream, i.e. white flecks) and noodles for dinner tonight. *Wahn wahn* A little disappointing... but into everyone's kitchen a little disaster must fall, I suppose. Right? Make me feel better here, people! *wink*

I think we'll be heading out to La Fiorentina tonight for dessert, which makes everything better. Hopefully next week's supper will turn out better!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Too bad about the sauce. I've had that happen to me many times, too. But as long as you have a good dessert after, it makes up for it.

"Prof. Kitty" said...

I've got one--yesterday I went to make another batch of my killer fudgey brownies. I put everything together just right, but I set the oven to 425 instead of 350. Why? No idea!! I baked for the required half hour and couldn't figure out why the brownies were burned on the outside and raw in the middle! Finally figured it out after reading the recipe 3 more times. Oh well, the corner bits I managed to salvage were pretty tasty!

ValleyWriter said...

Oh no! Not the brownies!! Well, at least you were able to salvage some parts. I guess yesterday was not the day for cooking success here in the Northeast!

Peter said...

great job. i think i'm hungry now.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I think we all have stories like this!!! Yay for La Fiorentina!!!!

Kathryn said...

Oh, honey...you always make everything sound so delicious and effortless...you're entitled to have a temporary setback every now and again...right?

Anonymous said...

What's up

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!