Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Easy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole

In sharp contrast to Sunday Suppers, which can take several hours to put together from start to finish, one of my requirements for weeknight dinners is that they be fairly quick and easy. My preference is to get dinner done within an hour - less than that is even better.

This is especially true in the winter months. Right now it's pitch black by the time I get home, which really saps my energy. After I get done with dinner, I want to curl up for an hour or two with a book (or maybe some Food Network) and then get to bed at a fairly early hour. I've been in a phase the last few weeks where I need a crazy 9-10 hours of sleep to actually feel rested (RA-related, I suspect; fatigue can be a real bugger!).

This chicken & broccoli casserole just makes the under 1 hour time limit. For your efforts, you'll get a creamy casserole chock full of veggies and topped with stuffing. Perfect for a cold winter's eve.

Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
(Serves 3)

Ingredients
8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried sage
salt, pepper to taste
2 heads broccoli, chopped
1 can low-fat/low-sodium cream of chicken soup
4 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3/4 c. stuffing mix
1/2 c. water
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Chop chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Place chicken in pan, sprinkle with sage and salt and pepper. Cook 5-6 minutes until no longer pink the center.
Meanwhile, steam chopped broccoli until tender crisp.
In a small bowl, combine cream of chicken soup and mustard.
In a separate bowl, combine stuffing mix, water and melted butter.
Once chicken is cooked, transfer into the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish. Layer steamed broccoli on top. Spread soup mixture over broccoli and top with stuffing.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Enjoy! (And then curl up with a good book. Tonight's reading: An Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. Hey - never said it was "light" reading.)

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Awesome casserole. If easy is one of the words to describe a meal, count me in!

Kathryn said...

Oh, yummy. I'll definitely give this one a try.

Won't it be great when we can eat dinner in daylight??

Tangled Noodle said...

Seriously - it's like you read my mind! I was going to make beef & broccoli (hubs' fave) but he also wanted steak & potatoes this week. I don't believe in serving the same protein so close together in the same week but didn't know what to do with my broc. Thank you, thank you for this great and very timely recipe! 8-D

Jhonny walker said...

I am new to your blog..but this is so nice and homey :) will be visiting more often!

Lily Johnson said...

I am definitely trying this. Looks yummy.

The Duo Dishes said...

This is very homey. Sounds like a broccoli rice casserole a family member used to make. Really good!

Joe Stahl said...

my mom would make this dish for me all the time. she would put really fluffy jasmine rice and Velveeta in it. Real American!