Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chicken Parm - MY comfort food

I've been feeling a bit under the weather the last few days. Seems Mr. ValleyWriter's cold, which I'd managed to fend off for a whole week, has finally taken over my immune system. Sure, it's just a cold - but we all know how colds can knock you on your bottom.

When I got home the other night, all I wanted was a hot, comforting meal (with a shot of NyQuil for dessert!) I'd planned on baked chicken and veggies. Ehhh - not so much. What I really wanted was pasta. Ah ha! Chicken Parmesan. Yes, that'll do. This recipe is actually pretty simple. You could, of course, jazz it up - should you have the energy. But if you're just looking for an easy, comforting meal - this'll do the trick.

Easy Chicken Parmesan
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, divided
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce, divided
2 cups cooked spaghetti

Method:Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together bread crumbs, 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, basil and oregano on a plate.
Flatten chicken breasts, then place on plate with bread crumbs. Turn over a few times to coat each piece well. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with any remaining breadcrumbs left on plate.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Spoon 1/4 c. spaghetti sauce on the top of each chicken breast and sprinkle with 1/2 of remaining Parmesan cheese. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
Mix the remaining sauce with the cooked spaghetti.
Serve chicken over spaghetti.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, yummy. And I have chicken breasts in the fridge. This'll be for tomorrow.

I hope you're feeling better soon, sweetie. Whoever said "it's just a cold" forgot how crappy it can make you feel.

Up the vitamin c!

Chef Shari said...

Hope you are feeling better! I am in need of some comfort food, this sound wonderful and easy, thanks for sharing.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Nice one! I hope you feel better soon!!!

Tangled Noodle said...

Delicious chicken on top of pasta? Now that's what I call dinner! I hope that your RA wasn't too bad as you couldn't take your medication; get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Great story you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thank you for posting this info.