Saturday, December 5, 2009

Review: Tabasco™ Spicy Tequila

Fresh, new FTC disclaimer!!!! * I received free product samples of Tabasco™ Spicy Tequila in exchange for this review. *

Now, on to the show:

When I received an email about trying a new Tabasco™ Spicy Tequila, I honestly thought they were talking about a new type of hot sauce infused with tequila. It sounded neat to me, so I said sure, I'd review it.

When I received my samples in the mail a couple of weeks later, I was a little surprised to find actual tequila inside!


Yup - they've come up with a new hot sauce/tequila combo. It took me a few days to process this. You see, I'm not really a tequila person. There's a story behind that (there always is), but we'll just leave it at that. This is a family blog, after all.

So, I decided to put my preconceived notions to the side and go ahead and give the Tabasco™ Spicy Tequila a try. I perused their official recipes and found 2 that caught my eye.

First up - the Bloody Maria (aka a bloody mary). With the spices already inside the tequila, this recipe couldn't be much simpler - tequila, tomato juice, lemon, celery seed. Throw in a stalk of celery and you've got a pretty snazzy looking drink:

When I brought the glass to my mouth, I immediately caught a whiff of the classic Tabasco spice that this tequila is named for. As far as taste, it was spicy, but the tequila definitely came through. And for me, there was just too much tequila. I guess I'm one of those people who wants to drink and not realize I'm drinking. Maybe if I remade this with twice as much tomato juice to tequila it might work for me. I did like the spicy start, just not the tequila finish.

So, I moved on to the next drink - the Tabasco™ Tail. Again, this is a super simple recipe - ginger ale and tequila. Having learned from my first experiment, I used just 1 oz. of tequila to about 4 oz. of ginger ale. Again, I got that great whiff of spice when I first took a sip, felt a little heat on my tongue and then had a nice, clean gingery finish. Perfect! It was like ginger ale with a special kick (not ginger ale loaded up with tequila). I really like this combo as a nice sipping drink.

The bottom line? If you like tequila - give this a try for a spicy change of pace. If you're not big on tequila, you might give it a try for a little extra kick in your drink, but go easy on how much you use. Just a splash will do!

4 comments:

lk (Healthy Delicious) said...

dude, I want people to send me tequila! lol I actually love the stuff, but usually in a margarita, and not sure about tabasco in that. I bet it would be good for cooking though. Marinate shrimp in it and the grill them, and use it in a dipping sauce of some sort?

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

It sounds interesting...I LOVE spicy, but not in my drinks. I have tried several spicy cocktails - and I just can't get into it. But I think it is cool that you got to sample this and make some cool drinks!

But I think LK has the right idea - it would be delish to cook with!

Jenn said...

Ooo...nice!!! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

Kathryn said...

Wow! Congrats on having someone sponsor a blog post! That is big news, sweetie!

The two recipes you tried sound good to me! But then again...I like just about any alcoholic drink. Does that make me a lush? Gee, I hope not. I just seriously appreciate 'em all...from gin martinis to my beloved Cloudy Bay...to bourbon.

Sigh...now, I need a drink.