Monday, December 14, 2009

I made bagels!

As you can tell from the title, I'm pretty proud of myself for this one. That's right - I made homemade bagels - and they turned out pretty darn good!



A little crunchy on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside. And aside from taking a while due to having to let the dough rise a few times, they were surprisingly simple.

I generally followed this Boiled Bagels recipe. I used all the same amounts of things and followed the same order of steps, but instead of using the "let rise" times listed (15 minutes in step 2 and 20 minutes in step 3), I let the dough rise until it was doubled in size. Since it's winter and we have stone (i.e. cold) counter tops, this took about an hour each time. Obviously if you did this in the summer, it might not take as long.

But even with the waiting time, it is sooo worth it! And the bagels store well, too. We stuck them in an airtight container and found they were just as good 4 days later. The only comment Mr. ValleyWriter had was that I should've made fewer bagels so each bagel was bigger ("New York style," according to Mr. ValleyWriter). Personally, I don't like a ginormous bagel, but if you do - considering making 8 bagels instead of the 12 the recipe calls for.

I'm planning on making another batch this weekend with cinnamon and raisin. Can't wait!

6 comments:

lk (Healthy Delicious) said...

how funny - I actually made bagels this weekend too! They were deeeeeelicious! You're look really yummy too

Pam said...

Congrats....your bagels look really great and yummy!

Bee Happy and Enjoy!

Kathryn said...

OHMYGOD! You made BAGELS! From scratch! At HOME!

You are truly my HERO. They look fabulous...I can almost smell them from here.

...and YES...you'd need 'em bigger for New Yawk! But the crusty on the outside and soft on the inside sounds like a little bit of heaven...

Jenn said...

I've been wanting to try and make bagels for while. I just got lazy to try it. Good job on yours. Beat having to go out and buying some from the store.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I am very impressed with you! I made bagels once and just never wanted to do it again. LOL! You are much braver than I! They look great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.