Monday, November 16, 2009

A new twist on Thanksgiving squash - Cranberry, Apple & Butternut Bake

Last fall, my mom served this amazing butternut squash bake for a family get-together and ever since then, I crave it every time I see butternut. This bake is sweet, yet tart and beautifully colorful. I think it would make a great addition to any Thanksgiving table. The red and green would also make it great for Christmas!



Cranberry, Apple & Butternut Bake

Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash
1 granny smith apple
1 cup cranberries
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small cubes

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel butternut squash. Cut in half and scoop out seeds. Cut remaining flesh into 1/2" cubes.
Cut apple into 1/2" cubes (do not peel).
In a 7" x 11" dish, combine butternut squash, apple and cranberries.
In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Sprinkle evenly over squash mixture. Dot with small pieces of butter.
Bake 50 minutes until squash is tender.

10 comments:

Jenn said...

This is like packing several Thanksgiving favorites into one delicious treat. I'm smiling with delight right now.

lk (Healthy Delicious) said...

yummy!!! I've been loving cranberries lately too. I bet they pair perfectly with the sweet butternut.

pegasuslegend said...

beautiful colors for this month very nice thank you :)

NOELLE said...

Sounds so delicious! I am saving this one!

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans said...

I love apples and butternut squash! I agree with the granny smith apple. It would make for a nice flavor contrast.

Bonnie said...

Thanks Amber, I just found one of the dishes I am making for the holidays! You rock the kitchen!

Cocina Savant said...

this looks tasty! i love the colors and the squash/cranberry combination. i can't wait to give this one a try!

Kathryn said...

Sweetie, no matter what time I visit your blog, you manage to make me hungry!

How do you DO that??

Sounds delicious!

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh! Squash and cranberries - that's a new combination that I'd love to try. Even though this is 'Thanksgiving squash', I'm seeing a nice, juicy pork chop alongside it!

Karine said...

This is a great fall dish! It looks delicious :)