Friday, November 13, 2009

Looking for an inexpensive hostess gift? Try Opera Prima wine!

Since the weather has turned cooler, we've taken to enjoying a glass of wine next to the fire most nights. Of course, if you're on any kind of budget, you can't be buying a few $20 or $30 bottles of wine for everyday use. So, I'm all about trying budget wines. "How low can I go?" is my eternal question. This doesn't always pay off. Let's just say I'm not a big fan of most wines that have cute little animals on the label - no matter how cheap they may be.

My latest source for decent, inexpensive wines is our local co-op. This week, I stumbled on a very nice, inexpensive red wine - Opera Prima Tempranillo ($5.99 for a 750mL bottle).



This Spanish wine is a beautiful dark ruby color. It has a light bouquet with cherry notes and a smooth, full bodied taste with notes of raspberry, cranberry and spices. It's these flavors that make me think this wine would make a great holiday hostess gift. And at $6 a bottle, you can afford to buy plenty! I will definitely be stocking up on this wine.

If you don't want to trust my review (because, honestly, I'm not a wine expert) - consider this - Wine Enthusiast says this is a "Best Buy" and Steve Tanzer's International Wine Cellar gives it 87 points.

Prefer a different kind of wine? Check out Eat Well, Eat Cheap for a great collection of wines around $10 a bottle. They have reviews for 30 Bargain Wines of the Week (plus some great recipes!).

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Cool. I like a good glass of wine every now and then. I'll have to check that one out.

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Definite purchase option and at $6.00 per bottle is a certain bargain hunters dream find.
I've also added this post to Stumble Upon.

Regards,
CCR =8~)

Christine aka Mistress of Cakes said...

Ah..the dreaded hostess gift.

Kathryn said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the great link...I'll definitely be checking this out!

(GREAT. Now, I'm thirsty too!)