Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving Thanks

In the last few weeks, I've become acutely aware of the fact that I tend to use my blog, Facebook, email, etc. as an outlet for my gripes about life. If you look at my Facebook status updates, you might think I'm a miserable person. I complain that I can't run because of my RA, that our mailbox got smashed in over the weekend, that people are annoying me at work. But in reality, I'm not a miserable person at all! I can be so positive sometimes that I actually annoy other people! :-) But, like everyone, sometimes I get caught up in the momentary and fleeting annoyances of life. However, when you start a thread about those annoyances online, they tend to become less fleeting and momentary - sometimes taking on a life of their own. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving and the holidays, I'm trying to cut back on my griping (well, at least online; Mr. ValleyWriter may still get an earful on occasion, but that's just healthy off-gassing).

As I've started to try to let go of those negative thoughts quicker than I can type them, I've come to making lists in my head of all the things I'm thankful for. Turns out - that list is pretty darn long! And I find that the more I make these lists, the less annoyed I get about the little things in life. Long line at the store? Oh well, at least I have the money to be shopping. Construction on the way to work? Hey, at least I have a job to go to.

So here's my (shortened) list of things I'm thankful for this year. I'm thankful that I have an amazing, supportive, loving husband who's also my best friend. I'm thankful for a close family that I know I can always rely on. I'm thankful to have a good job and a roof over my head. I'm thankful to have good health insurance. I'm thankful to have legs that carry me out of bed and about my day, even if my gait is sometimes imperfect. I'm thankful to always go to bed well fed, warm and secure. I am thankful for all those who serve to protect us every day. I'm thankful for all of the warm relationships I have in my life and for the happy spirit that courses through my days.
Your turn. What are you thankful for? (Even if you don't leave a comment, I hope you take the time to consider it. I bet it will make you happier today!)

Happy Thanksgiving.
~ValleyWriter

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Yeah, sometimes my friends wonder if I'm alright when I put up some of my FB status'. lol. I'm not miserable either. I'm pretty content with life right now. That's one of the things I'm thankful for right now. Of course, the list goes one, but I think that would be on the top of the list.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Valley Writer, it's easy to get discouraged when you have a chronic condition like RA or in my case, Fibro. But, you are absolutely right about taking the time to list all the wonderful blessing we have. For me, I am grateful to have such great foodie buddies to be able to talk to. Be well, be happy and have a blessed Thanksgiving holiday my friend. :)

ValleyWriter said...

Jenn & Teresa - Those are both great things to be thankful for! I'm also thankful for my online friends, like the two of you!

Kathryn said...

I'm thankful for many of the same things that you are. Family, friends, a roof over our heads...the basic, fundamental things that our kids can't really appreciate...just yet.

Oh and I'm thankful for my blogbuds. Some days, you guys are the only thing that keeps me SANE.

(I AM sane...right?)

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm thankful for your reminder that there is so much in our lives that is so good - even when the bad stuff seems to take over. I'm also learning to let go of the negative thoughts that often pop up in my mind. When I really stop to think about what I have in my life to be thankful for, I realize that there is more than I could list here! So let's just say that I am ever so thankful for it all!!